You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-01 03:09:10

binskipy2u
Banned

isntalling gnome after kde..

I read the wiki.. but what i'm missing or not reading enough to find it.. is..
how to install gnome (just the base) and use all the apps I already have installed.. that i use in kde..just to have gnome, and have a choice when i boot up?
im reading more into it now, but if someone installed gnome after a full blown kde desktop install, and just installed the base to enjoy a choice of 2 DE's, what did you do..  pacman -S gnome? or is there more to it... thanks in advance

"Sometimes you comfort the afflicted, other times you AFFLICT the COMFORTABLE"

#2 2010-07-01 03:38:44

lordmetroid

Re: isntalling gnome after kde..

When I first started using Archlinux on my desktop, comming from Ubuntu I wanted my desktop as I was comfortable with from the Ubuntu days but without the bloat. However as I started to install the enormous desktop environment which the Gnome desktop environment is. I got more frustrated by each day. It took me a week to get a satisfactory Gnome installation and I tried to convience me that I only would need to install Gnome once and get it configured as I wished once. However at the end of the week I gave up, I was nowhere near the quality experience which Ubuntu's standard installation will give you.

Now I am using the Openbox window manager together with xterm and have a very enjoyable experience. Openbox contains a lot of features yet is very simple to install and to configure. Openbox is of course do not contain by far as exhaustive amount of features as the complete Ubuntu Gnome desktop environment. However I do not miss anything except for the clock applet and notifications. Both software which I have plans to program some simple application for.

#3 2010-07-01 03:41:18

x33a
Forum Fellow

pacman -S gnome should do the job, unless you want more gnome-apps, then you'll need to install gnome-extra and gnome-system-tools, too.

#4 2010-07-01 03:43:37

binskipy2u
Banned

thanks, just trying to get a basic gnome w/all the apps i already have installed
id ont mind the FULL kde desktop I love kde and arch is so fast and snappy anyway.. that size of install doesnt matter, specially with huge hd's and the such, thanks again

"Sometimes you comfort the afflicted, other times you AFFLICT the COMFORTABLE"

Board footer