You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-01 03:42:46

RozenTensai
Website

[SOLVED] Alsamixer / amixer not working and some other stuff

Well, my problem is that amixer nor alsamixer works for me.
When executing amixer or alsamixer i get

ALSA lib control.c:781:(snd_ctl_open_conf) type is not defined
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

also, when trying to execute alsaconf it tells me that it could not find any sound card.

The thing is, that actually i get perfect sound from my speakers hmm
Maybe PulseAudio is doing something bad/weird? or my last KDE uninstallation/XFCE reinstall broke alsa?
Or maybe the last Full System Update?
Said this because I updated the system and then uninstalled KDE and installed XFCE again

I have read this and this but found nothing that solves my problem... or maybe i'm doing something wrong?

Oh! almost forgot, i got a tv tuner card, the cheap-and-tricky Sabrent SBT-TVFM, installed the drivers, got /dev/radio0 , /dev/vbi0 and /dev/v4l, so I found the correct card/tuner combination, but Gnomeradio nor TVTime can tune anything.  (note that I get video and/or audio, but only the static)
Anyone got any ideas why?

Thank you in advance smile

Last edited by RozenTensai (2010-07-08 01:39:43)

#2 2010-07-01 04:30:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Alsamixer / amixer not working and some other stuff

Do you even know what you have installed/setup on your system sound wise? Are you by any chance running OSS?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-03 00:47:45

RozenTensai
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Alsamixer / amixer not working and some other stuff

Well, I'm using only ALSA and PulseAudio.

I want to use amixer to control the audio levels with the multimedia keys

It worked fine before the system update and the KDE uninstallation, so i'm starting to think that something broke out between the update and the XFCE reinstall

EDIT:
Doing a simple 'pacman -S pulseaudio-alsa' stopped the problem and left me thinking in what part of the KDE uninstall I removed that package so... I think it's time for a 'pacman -Syu' on my brain lol lol
So there's only left the TV Card problem and it's all fixed smile

EDIT 2:
Well, the main problem was fixed and i think that nobody knows about the secondary problem so i'm marking it as solved.
Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by RozenTensai (2010-07-08 01:39:31)

Board footer