You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-02 05:06:30

FathisAeril

Xorg, Catalyst, used the DDX,ForceXXA fix

Okay, First time using Arch Linux (atleast on a real machine, i tested it and got it 'up and running' in a VM. Couple things that have to be said

1) Great idea behind the distro
2) Installer def made me learn my linux sh*t (or relearn as it came up time to time)
3) Amazing Wiki's

Speaking of which, I had been using the wiki's to get the Catalyst driver up and running my 3200 HD, used the version into the main Cataylst repo (10.6-2), my xorg is v1.8.1.902-1. Installed catalyst, added fglrx to rc.conf daemons list

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond hal fglrx gdm transmissiond

ran

aticonfig --initial
aticonfig -v

and rebooted.

When I came back into Gnome, I was having some issues with my desktop and windows. The odd thing thats happening is with Terminal and Firefox (So far, havent seen it in others -- yet as it only comes up sometimes) if I open up one of the apps, or bring it up from minimize, everything except the menu is blacked out. Like when I registering for the site, I had to un-maximize the window (which cleared the black cuz it made it redraw everything on the page) then maximize it again to get it back the way I wanted.

I can also clear it (like with terminal) by just changing the width / height by 1 pixel, because it re-draws the window. If terminal is blacked out, by I start typing, as I type, it clears the black and replaces it with the white background, black text that it should be, one character at a time following my cursor.

Thinking maybe this had to deal with the artifacts/grey/black/white boxes bug, I ran

aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE

from init 3,

rebooted

and..... no fix.

if anyone has ANY ideas, I would absolutely love to hear it. I'm a big fan of Arch already and would hate to have to give it up because the 3D was unstable (This is mainly a gaming box, hence the 3D as a make-or-break with a side priority on classwork -- considering its summer haha.)

I have no problems with working my arse off TO get it to work, but I do need Catalyst so its unfortunately not "just use the open source drivers"

It doesn't matter how much training you have. A broken rib is still a broken rib.

#2 2010-07-02 07:32:15

Aarrrgghh

Re: Xorg, Catalyst, used the DDX,ForceXXA fix

fglrx should be in your modules list, not daemons.  I have a similar card and have no problems with artifacts etc using the  xorg-server-backclear in [catalyst] instead of xorg in standard repos.  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI … positories

#3 2010-07-02 18:06:35

FathisAeril

Okay, went into and added fglrx to my modules as it should be, removed it from daemons. So now those two lines look like:

MODULES=(fglrx)

and

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond hal gdm transmissiond)

respectively.

unfortunately, I am still having issues with the redraw.

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

reports: yes

glxinfo | grep "vendor"

reports: ATI Technologies Inc

I also UNDID the ForceXAA fix by resetting that value back to false

Im wondering if it could possibly be my xorg.conf that it configured incorrectly, I can post it if you or anyone else would like to double check it. I have my old Ubuntu 10.04 xorg.conf, but i'm not sure if that was the same version of xorg unfortunately.

Last edited by FathisAeril (2010-07-02 18:08:02)

It doesn't matter how much training you have. A broken rib is still a broken rib.

#4 2010-07-02 18:43:11

FathisAeril

Officially restricted to only the redraw on windows, as the 3D effects for Avant-Window-Navigator are working and displaying perfectly. Haven't tested any games yet, but so far this seems to only be affecting the drawing / redrawing of windows on the screen,

#5 2010-07-03 23:24:13

FathisAeril

Bump, still looking for help guys, I'd hate to have to go back to Ubuntu or Debian just because of this

#6 2010-07-04 06:41:28

dcc24

I have the following setpcs line in my rc.local and it fixes the blackbox problem:

Can you try adding it to /etc/rc.local and reboot?

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#7 2010-07-04 09:44:02

thejoschi

dcc24 wrote:

I have the following setpcs line in my rc.local and it fixes the blackbox problem:

Can you try adding it to /etc/rc.local and reboot?

Had the same problem (also ATI card [HD 3470]) and this one solved the issues on my beloved windowmaker installation.

Thanks!

Regards
Joschi

Board footer