You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-02 17:48:59

rb

Extremely slow Firefox and Opera navigation, Chromium works just fine

Hello. Until yesterday I was a happy Opera 10.20 user. Despite the slow JavaScript performance, everything worked well.

The last night, I updated to Opera 10.60 (6386), and the navigation speed was awful. I took me more than 35' (mins not secs) to get into my gmail inbox, and it was that time only. The Arch forum and several other sites that I check daily take ages to load. Every now and then, I works super fast for a while.

So I installed Firefox (3.6.6) to test out, and I've the same results: every single page takes more than 10~15 seconds to load. I disabled ipv6 support and did a few tweaks to my Firefox to test again, but came up with the same results.

I started to get suspicious at my internet connection, so I download Chromium (5.0.375.86 (0)) and everything works like a charm with this browser. JavaScript it's a bit slower than in the newest Opera, but still a lot better than Opera 10.20. Then I tried in my laptop (still with Opera 10.20) and in my sister's Window Box, and the navigation works very well.

On a happy side note, when I installed Chromium I installed Vimium as well... oh boy, how did I live without Vim keybindings in my browsers until now? 10+ years of inefficient browsing sad

Anyway, I don't know what could possibly cause the slow navigation in the first two browsers, while in the third everything runs smooth. I would like to recover my old browser speed, or better yet, get Firefox to work properly so I can use Vimperator tongue

Is there any place where I should look for some specific errors? I'm really lost here.

Thanks for reading

Sorry for my English. Feel free to point out my errors.

#2 2010-07-02 18:38:37

karol
Archivist

Re: Extremely slow Firefox and Opera navigation, Chromium works just fine

Firefox 3.6.6-1 here, running fine.
What else did you update apart from Opera?

#3 2010-07-02 18:42:16

rb

Prior to Opera, yaourt and package-query (needed by yaourt). Before that, everything worked fine.

#4 2010-07-02 18:44:54

karol
Archivist

So your system is fully updated and apart from Opera / Firefox slowness it's running fine?
There should be some tools to profile the offending apps but I have no idea where to look for them.

#5 2010-07-02 18:46:40

hokasch

As a start, you could downgrade Opera to see if the new version was indeed the problem, or something else.

#6 2010-07-02 19:11:39

rb

karol wrote:

So your system is fully updated and apart from Opera / Firefox slowness it's running fine?
There should be some tools to profile the offending apps but I have no idea where to look for them.

Everything else works like a charm.

hokasch wrote:

As a start, you could downgrade Opera to see if the new version was indeed the problem, or something else.

Done. With the downgrade Opera works fine, however, Firefox is still slow as hell

#7 2010-07-04 13:13:24

silenc3r

do you have /etc/hosts configured?

#8 2010-07-04 19:12:38

rb

Yes. Beside my ISP DNS I tried OpenDNS and Google DNS.

Now I'm browsing with Firefox. Seems that after install Adblock and Flashblock scripts, and browsing at least one in the websites seems to work decent. I couldn't get into Chromium, even with Vimium.

I just uninstalled Opera, there was no way to get that one work.

#9 2010-07-18 04:22:23

dustinw

I have the exact same problem, firefox crawls, chromium seems to work fine.  It really sucks too, I like firefox. sad

Board footer