You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-03 07:05:49

Marklar

[solved] Nvidia TwinView

I have dual monitors setup with TwinView and my setup is my main monitor directly in front of me and my secondary monitor to the left.

I can move windows across screens just fine but the problem is all my apps and windows start on the left monitor instead of my main.

It's behaving as if it only wants to let me put my secondary monitor on the right.

I have DFP-0 marked as primary and positioned absolute +1920+0
I have DFP-1 position absolute +0+0

It's after 1am and I belive I've tried every combination of settings I could think of this late.. Probably the same one more than once.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've googled and it seems I keep stumbing into 2 or 3 year old threads that dont really help much.

Last edited by Marklar (2010-07-03 13:59:03)

#2 2010-07-03 07:55:03

o1911

Re: [solved] Nvidia TwinView

I have a similar setup and yes, it is a pain at times.  However, I think you'll find that it 'prefers' window placement depending on where your active window is positioned, i.e. if your main screen has a terminal selected, a new window would be opened on your main screen.

Maybe compiz has settings to manage placement?

Arch x86_64

#3 2010-07-03 11:43:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

The placement of windows is a WM thing, not related to TwinView (assuming you HAVE activated XineramaInfo). Go search for WM-specific help.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-07-03 11:53:31

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Marklar wrote:

have you tried the other way around? main screen +0+0, secondary screen -1920+0?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2010-07-03 12:46:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:
Marklar wrote:

have you tried the other way around? main screen +0+0, secondary screen -1920+0?

I don't think you CAN have negative numbers.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-07-03 13:08:39

Marklar

yes I also tried the negative number but it just auto corrected and switched the numbers back to the way they were

I'm not running Xinerama. I tried that first but when I did Compiz wouldn't work. I figured Xinerama was just for multiple video cards. But I Just have one video card with dual outputs.

ngoonee wrote:

The placement of windows is a WM thing, not related to TwinView (assuming you HAVE activated XineramaInfo). Go search for WM-specific help.

But this seems to have worked. In Compiz Config there is something called Place Windows under Window Management. I activated that and played with the settings there..

Thanks!

#7 2010-07-03 13:54:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Marklar wrote:

I'm not running Xinerama. I tried that first but when I did Compiz wouldn't work. I figured Xinerama was just for multiple video cards. But I Just have one video card with dual outputs.

Xinerama is for multiple outputs, you CAN use it with a dual output (separate X screens can be joined with Xinerama or left separate). It's deprecated though so better off not touching that. As I mentioned, XineramaInfo is basically running TwinView but 'emulating' the output of Xinerama, most WMs take Xinerama output in order to make intelligent decisions on window placement (not putting everything right smack centered between your 2 screens).

Marklar wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

But this seems to have worked. In Compiz Config there is something called Place Windows under Window Management. I activated that and played with the settings there..

Thanks!

You're welcome, please mark [solved].

Board footer