In glxgears I get about 800 fps, which is perfectly normal for my GF2. I also don't see anything wrong when I run glxinfo. There are some warnings in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but related only to fonts and APM.
Now when I run any game like neverball or lbreakout, it just hangs. No output on xterm, cpu stays near zero, but the game won't show up. The same happens if I change the driver from nvidia to nv.
All games worked before. I don't know what change has caused them to not work, because it's been a while since I last played those games. I uninstalled the driver and installed the archlinux nvidia package recently with:
nvidia-installer --uninstall pacman -S nvidia
so I suspected this first and reverted back to the original driver, but it didn't change anything.
Any ideas what might be wrong here?
Well, I was going to suggest an inadvertant "Mesa" installation, which happened to me from one of the packages I pulled in recently, but you apparently re-installed your driver.
If you run them from a console, what does the output say?
The only other thing I would suggest is running:
[ root@neo: ~ ]# ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x4001c000) libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40083000) libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40090000) libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40153000) libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x401a4000) libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x401c7000) libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x402fc000) libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x407ac000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
and see If you get similiar results. Maybe that might point you in the right direction. Well, actually, now that I think about it, I'm running off my 2.4/LFS drive right now, so maybe it will be a bit different. But, maybe you can glean some info from your output.
I don't have mesa installed.
When I run a game from console (xterm), there is no output, it just hangs.
$ ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000) libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x4002f000) libXp.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6 (0x4009d000) libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x400a5000) libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x400b3000) libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x4017f000) libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x40191000) libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x401b4000) libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x402cd000) libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0x409be000) libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0x409c0000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
I don't see anything obviously wrong in ldd output (I may be wrong though). All files exist and are symlinks to existing libs. There is difference between my and your output: in my case most libs are in /lib/tls/, while in your case are located in /lib/, but I don't know if that means anything.
Had a similar problem running a pre-processing GUI for an FE analysis. The fi x in my case was to rename /usr/lib/tls (which I _think_ are provided by the nVidia driver) so that the default openGl implementation is used instead by your driver.