You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-16 01:29:04

gaah

[solved]Something slows down my computer...

I need help figuring out what is slowing down my computer. I installed the xscreensaver (through pacman) and tried it out. It was quite smooth and had no problems what so ever. I didn't check how many fps I could have but it was pretty good.

Then I configured some stuff and installed the folowing apps (all through pacman of course):

feh
aterm
kdegames
gftp
amule
alsa-lib alsa-utils alsa-oss
qtparted
file-roller
    zip
    unzip
gimp
devil            (image formats lib)
    xawtv
    tvtime
    kdetv
rox
xmms-mplayer

The configuration I did was that I changed the load method for gdm, instead of having it in the daemons section in rc.conf I edited the initab and changed the runlevel, as the wiki says. I also added some mount points in fstab to have my ntfs mp3 and my fat32 mpg partitions to be there at all time. I also configured the sound according to the wiki. When I then looked at the xscreensaver the fps is down to like 6 fps and everything looks really awful and not smooth at all. I mean, what could had happened?

#2 2005-02-16 01:37:36

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: [solved]Something slows down my computer...

run top, or ps to find out what is chewing up all your cycles.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-02-16 01:47:03

gaah

But what to look for? I mean, in top I saw that the highest %cpu was amule with arround 5% and %mem it is x, amule and firefox at each arround 7%. But my problem is still there whan I run the xscreensaver just after a reboot, when amule or firefox isn't loaded at all.

Thank you, top is a program I've been looking for, to be able to see what is running on my computer, but I can't see how this could solve my problem?

#4 2005-02-16 19:07:47

gaah

I found the problem, some of the software got my system to use the wrong video drivers. A reinstall of nVidia and everything works fine again!

Board footer