You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-04 13:28:18

V for Vivian

[solved] dualscreen, switch worksp. only on one screen (KDE and other)

Hello,

I use two screen most of the time. I want the following behaviour: On one screen, all windows are assigned to all workspaces, on the other one I can place windows normally (they are assigned to one workspace and stay there when I switch). Or maybe it is possible to only switch workspaces on one screen while on the other screen I am always on the same. This should happen automatically.

To set the dual screen mode, I use nvidia-settings since I have a nvidia card.

I am using KDE 4.4 (KWin) at the moment but am also interested in solutions which are based on other DE/WM.

Thanks,
Viv

Last edited by V for Vivian (2010-07-04 17:41:22)

YES WE CAN
(but that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to)

#2 2010-07-04 15:32:41

BurntSushi
Website

Re: [solved] dualscreen, switch worksp. only on one screen (KDE and other)

I don't think KDE/KWin has this feature. (If it does, I would love to hear about it myself!)

I do know that XMonad has this, though. It's called "greedy view," (Where you can switch workspaces on a screen basis.) if my memory serves me correctly. I don't know if you're open to a tiling WM, but it should be able to run inside of KDE.

Last edited by BurntSushi (2010-07-04 15:32:51)

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#3 2010-07-04 17:38:14

V for Vivian

Thank you!

I've managed to run xmonad with KDE and it seems to be a viable solution for me. I still need to adapt xmonad and myself a bit and I'm confused about how workspaces are handled with multiple screens. But overall it seems appealing, tiling is nice. Don't really have time to play around right now but I'll look into it in a week or so.

Thus this topic shall be solved for now. Anyway, I'm still open for other solutions of course. Can't have enough of them.

Viv

YES WE CAN
(but that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to)

#4 2010-07-04 18:50:00

jac
Website

Xmonad assigns one workspace to each screen, and you can only view a workspace on one screen (by default, I don't know if there is a way to change that). I'd like to note that greedy view is actually not what makes it work like this, this is just the default behavior.
Imagine you have workspace 1 open on monitor 1 and workspace 2 open on monitor 2. Montior 1 is currently focused.
    With greedy view) If you use the hotkey to switch to workspace 2, then what workspace is being viewed by each monitor is flopped. So, monitor 1 has workspace 2, and monitor 2 has workspace 1.
    Without greedy view) switching to workspace 2 will simply focus monitor 2
I bring this up only because I hate greedy view, and wanted to let you know that you can disable it while still having the functionality you want.

There is an xmonad hacking thread here on the forums that should be able to help you out if you have any more questions/problems/etc.

#5 2010-07-05 14:36:08

valium97582

If you cannot stand xmonad's Haskell (which nowadays is no problem, xmonad haves a great communty which is really helpful) and ghc extra extra large size (only standable if you indeed program in Haskell (good language...)), i3, which has splendid multiple monitor support, and many others TWMs, which now have really great multiple monitor support.

Anyway, good luck with TWMs! Enjoy the ride!

I'm also known as zmv on IRC.

Board footer