You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-06 13:22:46

diamondd

[SOLVED] Xmonad -> no ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs and --recompile doesn't work

Hi everybody,

I've just installed Arch for the first time running X with Xmonad and I've run into my first problem I haven't been able to work out. In the install guide it says xmonad should create the .xmonad directory and the .hs file and if it doesn't use the xmonad --recompile command to create it. When I try that it just tells me this:

xmonad: /home/dave/.xmonad/xmonad.errors: openFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)

I dunno, I'm completely stumped on how to fix it and can't really continue until I get a config file going.

Also, at the moment I turn my computer on, select Arch from the grub menu, login, and run startx to launch xmonad and then get going. Is there a way I can automatically run xmonad?

Last edited by diamondd (2010-07-07 15:00:10)

#2 2010-07-06 13:29:39

brisbin33
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Xmonad -> no ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs and --recompile doesn't work

diamondd wrote:

I've just installed Arch for the first time running X with Xmonad and I've run into my first problem I haven't been able to work out. In the install guide it says xmonad should create the .xmonad directory and the .hs file and if it doesn't use the xmonad --recompile command to create it. When I try that it just tells me this:

xmonad: /home/dave/.xmonad/xmonad.errors: openFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)

I dunno, I'm completely stumped on how to fix it and can't really continue until I get a config file going.

I've tested this before due to some uncertainty in another thread.  `rm -r ~/.xmonad && startx` successfully creates an ~/.xmonad directory for me (it does not create the xmonad.hs file); what does your ~/.xinitrc look like?

diamondd wrote:

Also, at the moment I turn my computer on, select Arch from the grub menu, login, and run startx to launch xmonad and then get going. Is there a way I can automatically run xmonad?

Search the wiki for start x at boot.

Last edited by brisbin33 (2010-07-06 13:31:55)

#3 2010-07-06 18:02:00

Nepherte

Try using one of the basic xmonad.hs configurations from the xmonad website to see if that works.

#4 2010-07-06 18:21:00

jwbirdsong

Nepherte wrote:

Try using one of the basic xmonad.hs configurations from the xmonad website to see if that works.

there should also be one under /usr/share/xmonad-0.9.1/man/xmonad.hs you can just copy it from there to ~/.xmonad

Last edited by jwbirdsong (2010-07-06 18:21:13)

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#5 2010-07-07 08:00:39

diamondd

brisbin33 wrote:
diamondd wrote:

I've tested this before due to some uncertainty in another thread.  `rm -r ~/.xmonad && startx` successfully creates an ~/.xmonad directory for me (it does not create the xmonad.hs file); what does your ~/.xinitrc look like?

diamondd wrote:

Search the wiki for start x at boot.

all it has in it at the moment is (excluding the commented out stuff that it comes with):

#set cursor
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
#start xmonad
exec xmonad

I tried 'rm -r ~/.xmonad && startx' and it simply said "rm: cannot remove '/home/dave/.xmonad' : No such file or directory" as I'd expect because its not there and that's my problem.

Thanks for the help though, if there's anything wrong with my .xinitrc could someone please let me know.

#6 2010-07-07 13:32:12

brisbin33
Website

xmonad ML say's just xmonad (not exec xmonad) is correct

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
xmonad

maybe try that.

#7 2010-07-07 14:40:50

diamondd

^tried that, xmonad still launches like it used to and still doesn't create the /.xmonad directory.

should I try a reinstall maybe? I've really got no idea why its not there, if I just made my own /.xmonad directory and a xmonad.hs file would it still work?

#8 2010-07-07 14:46:10

brisbin33
Website

well, maybe.

as i understood it, a running xmonad required ~/.xmonad for more than just the xmonad.hs file

//blue/0/~/ lt .xmonad/
.xmonad/
|-- history
|-- xmonad.errors
|-- xmonad.hi
|-- xmonad.hs
|-- xmonad.o
`-- xmonad-x86_64-linux

0 directories, 6 files

specifically the .hi, .o and the -linux executable.  i would try creating the simple ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs out of the wiki and then try a --recompile (or M-q) to see if it creates the other files above.  if it does, i'd say you're all set at that point.

#9 2010-07-07 14:59:50

diamondd

brisbin33 wrote:

well, maybe.

as i understood it, a running xmonad required ~/.xmonad for more than just the xmonad.hs file

//blue/0/~/ lt .xmonad/
.xmonad/
|-- history
|-- xmonad.errors
|-- xmonad.hi
|-- xmonad.hs
|-- xmonad.o
`-- xmonad-x86_64-linux

0 directories, 6 files

specifically the .hi, .o and the -linux executable.  i would try creating the simple ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs out of the wiki and then try a --recompile (or M-q) to see if it creates the other files above.  if it does, i'd say you're all set at that point.

problem solved, thankyou very much.

that's kind of annoying actually, its sort of what I wanted to try but I'd convinced myself it was supposed to do all that by itself in the first instance.

#10 2010-07-07 17:55:35

Nepherte

diamondd wrote:
brisbin33 wrote:

well, maybe.

//blue/0/~/ lt .xmonad/
.xmonad/
|-- history
|-- xmonad.errors
|-- xmonad.hi
|-- xmonad.hs
|-- xmonad.o
`-- xmonad-x86_64-linux

0 directories, 6 files

problem solved, thankyou very much.

that's kind of annoying actually, its sort of what I wanted to try but I'd convinced myself it was supposed to do all that by itself in the first instance.

A golden rule: if the file doesn't exist, just create it.

#11 2010-07-08 12:52:11

diamondd

Nepherte wrote:

A golden rule: if the file doesn't exist, just create it.

yeah, I'll remember that now don't worry. For some reason I was under the impression that it should have been (and needed to be) generated automatically.

Thanks everyone

Board footer