You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-06 18:58:45

Mzg

Font corruption in virtual consoles

Not sure where to put this, so it goes here.

I am currently a victim of font/screen corruption in the virtual consoles (probably not X, not sure, haven't installed a WM/DE yet). I am using a 1680x1050 resolution (8bit color) with the vesafb driver for the framebuffer (have installed proprietary nvidia drivers for X). This is my native resolution, and my attempt to get a decent console environment without KMS, which the proprietary nvidia drivers do not allow (or so I have read). This works fine, the problem arises when I choose a large font to compensate for the larger resolution.

Most fonts above 16px seem to cause corruption. I really like the Terminus font (ter-120b in particular), but it causes corruption. If I go down to ter-116b, it works fine. For some reason, ter-132b works fine too, guess it's got something to do with 16px+16px=32px. This is too large, though, so I can't use it. I have also tried other fonts than Terminus (One called sun12x22 (or sth like that), for example) with the same results. All fonts greater than 16px seem to cause corruption (unless they are as large as 32px). Note that the ter-XXXn fonts (e.g. ter-120n) also cause corruption.

When I say "corruption" I mean pixels not being redrawn properly, "left-over" pixels. It is easily reproducible by typing something in the terminal, moving the cursor a few characters back (1 or more), and pressing the "delete" button to delete the character to the right of the cursor. The character is not properly deleted on screen, some of the pixels are left. Note that this happens in editors like nano/vim as well. 

I have tried different resolutions and framebuffer settings (ywrap, redraw, mtrr and what not), but have narrowed it down to a font problem as corruption occurs even with default settings/resolution.

Any suggestions? Know what causes this? Workarounds/fixes?

In worst case I'll just down the resolution until a 16px font is okay, but it would be a shame not to get the native resolution.

EDIT: Oh, and my GPU is a nvidia GTX260 (the 216 core version)

Last edited by Mzg (2010-07-06 19:00:06)

Archer.

Board footer