You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-08 19:17:23

lastchancetosee

Running Compiz without DE - a few questions

I'm playing around with Compiz as a stand-alone WM and there are a few details that bug me:

a) I'm generally using Alt+LeftClick to move, Alt+RightClick to resize Windows. I configured both shortcuts in Compiz, but everytime I Alt+Rightclick on a window I get a maximize/minimize/etc-context menu instead of a resize. I haven't found out where this shortcut is configured, does anyone know? (I HATE the configuration manager - it's all over the place!)

b) What's with the Desktop/Workspace stuff? I can configure multiple desktops AND workspaces, but all plugins that claim to relate to desktops (by name, like desktop cube etc.) actually relate to workspaces. For desktops there is nothing at all.
But whatever, I'll just use workspaces instead of desktops, right? No such luck, because tint2, my taskbar of choice, only recognizes different desktops, not workspaces. So, a) how do I teach tint2 to recognize workspaces or b) how do I make all the fun stuff one can do with workspaces apply to desktops (like they should, the plugin is called 'Desktop Wall/Cube/whatever', grrr...).

[edit: One other thing: Any idea how to make Compiz focus windows on click, but only raise them on Shift/Control/Alt/whatever+click?]

[edit2: OK, I screwed up some bindings ... only the problem with b) remains, the rest I fixed.]

Last edited by lastchancetosee (2010-07-09 12:47:09)

My ship don't crash! She crashes, you crashed her!

#2 2010-07-17 01:10:09

valium97582

Re: Running Compiz without DE - a few questions

Just make the number of Workspaces equal the number of Desktops, because AFAIK they mean the same thing.

I'm also known as zmv on IRC.

#3 2010-07-17 13:57:49

pogeymanz

Re: Running Compiz without DE - a few questions

There is no "fix" to  your problem. Compiz plugins use Viewports instead of Desktops, so it's more beneficial to have multiple Viewports and one Desktop.

However, tint2 only knows about Desktops, even though Viewports are a perfectly acceptable EHWM compliant thing. You'll see that few panels work well with Compiz.

Board footer