You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-09 10:15:38

binskipy2u
Banned

fan constantly running, like the computer is "doing" something

its not exactly noisy, just constant.. and i hear it whirling louder at times and i'm not even at my computer..
I'm sure the case, the psu fan(s), the cpu fan needs blowing out.. but before I do that.. I just wonder why
its whirling so much.. it didn't seem to or I didn't notice it with ubuntu 64bit..
I'm sure there's information you need.. if anyone can help me.. or besides getting some canned air.. give me some commands that i can use to copy the output to make it easier for you /someone to help me, let me know what you need, cause I have no idea..

it is a FULL blown KDE install.. gateway GT5692 triple core amd 8450 processor @ 2.1ghz , 4gigs ddr2 ram, 500gig SATA hd, onboard ati 3200..
anything else you need me to post to help me or see if there's even an actual issue, let me know, thanks in advance

***I've used many search words, crond, fans running, cpu load, et al and dont think I found anything I personally could use, but then again, I've never asked a question like this before.. just wanted to clarify****

Last edited by binskipy2u (2010-07-09 10:17:41)

"Sometimes you comfort the afflicted, other times you AFFLICT the COMFORTABLE"

#2 2010-07-09 11:52:48

demian

Re: fan constantly running, like the computer is "doing" something

whether or not the fan has to run depends on the temperatures. i suggest you check them with sensors. if they are O.K. you can probably use a fan speed daemon to regulate the speed.
If the temperatures are not O.K. you might have to clean the fans and the case or replace the fans with better ones that make less noise.

no place like /home
github

#3 2010-07-09 12:29:16

brebs

binskipy2u wrote:

I'm sure the case, the psu fan(s), the cpu fan needs blowing out

Then do it, as the first thing. Dust stresses the fans, which then stresses the whole system due to excess heat. Basically, dust is an enemy, and only causes damage and reduces component lifetime/reliability.

#4 2010-07-09 12:55:54

drcouzelis
Website

I had similar symptoms. I happened to get the fans to behave themselves, but, of course, I don't know if your computer is having the same problem that mine was. The problem was:

Bad video card driver setup, and KMS.

I use the open source "radeon" driver for my Radeon X850. I had KMS disabled. After some kernel updates, my computer started being really loud. For a reason other than the fan noise (which I thought was my case fan), I enabled KMS. It fixed some graphical glitches I was having and my computer is a lot quieter now.

#5 2010-07-09 15:54:48

binskipy2u
Banned

well video's always been fine.. and i Looked at what you posted about KMS, and drivers.. it's all GREEK to me.. so what ill do, i'll do what Brebs said, clean it all out.. blow out the fans etc.. its been a LONG time.. perhaps almost a year. then go from there...

i read it again, and dont understand much about KMS...  thanks for the reply

#6 2010-07-12 00:21:18

binskipy2u
Banned

Everyone, it's still running like crazy.. constantly, sounds like a real fan's in the room.. any suggestions? anything I can post, any commands i can copy and paste the output to figure out what it is? or what's causing the cpu and/or psu fan to continuesly run?? this never did this on ubuntu 8.x,9.x, or 10.04 any help , commands, ideas,  directions would be most appreciated.. thanks

#7 2010-07-12 00:34:17

drcouzelis
Website

binskipy2u wrote:

this never did this on ubuntu 8.x,9.x, or 10.04

A quick question: was it always like that since you installed Arch Linux?

Also, did you install power management software such as [wiki]cpufrequtils[/wiki]? Software to control your CPU and fans are not installed by default in Arch Linux.

Do you need help with KMS before you try enabling it, to see if it helps?

#8 2010-07-12 00:37:21

binskipy2u
Banned

I dont know what KMS is.. nor do i know if software installed power management software will work.. i know there's a bios setting for optimal, i never touched the bios. id id look in there the other day, seen the fan numbers.. i could go back in there to type out what it say regarding fan speeds and temps..
how will /would I know if cpufrequtils would even work on my computer?

#9 2010-07-12 00:45:02

binskipy2u
Banned

I just went into the bios..here's what i think is the pertinant information needed..
Bios: American Megatrends 85-2007
Cpu & Sys smart fan control both ENABLED
CPU fan speed: 2860 rpm
Sys fan speed: 1660 rpm
CPU temp 53c/127f
Ambient temp 48c/118f

hope this helps.. in figuring out what the problem is or if cpufrequtils will work with my system, thanks in advance

#10 2010-07-12 01:29:22

drcouzelis
Website

All of the software that is running in Ubuntu is also available for Arch Linux, so you should be able to set it up. Please use the wiki page that I linked to to install and try out cpufrequtils. Please post any questions you have as you try it out.

Unfortunately, there are many pieces of software for controlling your hardware power management, and deciding which ones to try and stick with can be tricky. Please continue browsing the wiki to learn more about them. cpufrequtils is the only one I use on my desktop.

Board footer