You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-09 16:37:32

kiruch
Website

don't bash me for asking... how to make a hotspot out of a wi-fi card?

but if i have a laptop with a wi-fi receiver, is it possible to make it a transmitter?
i mean, can i make the wi-fi module itself work "backwards", or is it technically impossible?
the initial data signal is provided by a LAN router.
i read that there were apps that made it possible for WinMo smartphones, so why not laptops? *hides*

Last edited by kiruch (2010-07-09 21:25:53)

#2 2010-07-09 20:16:30

murffatksig

Re: don't bash me for asking... how to make a hotspot out of a wi-fi card?

That's really going to depend on the wifi card.  I did that with a linksys router at home (to act as a repeater).  What you're wanting to do is set up an ad-hoc connection, that turns your laptop into the transmitter.  Then you need to look at sharing the internet between your LAN connection and your wifi connection.

What's the make and model of your wifi card?

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#3 2010-07-09 20:36:30

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

/me bashes kiruch with a huge foam clubat with the url http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50160  painted on

Anyway: Yes it is, as murffatksig said, possible to do it, depending on the hardware you got. It's often a less than optimal solution tho except for "one off" cases, as the range and performance often is worse than with a dedicated wireless ap.

There are multiple howtoes out on the net, but sadly most of them are quite outdated.
Here is one fairly recent one for setting it up with wpa/hostap http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/55617

Edit: fixed the link, stupid midori was messing up the copy/paste again hmm

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2010-07-09 21:37:42)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2010-07-09 21:31:45

tavianator
Website

Mr.Elendig wrote:

There are multiple howtoes out on the net, but sadly most of them are quite outdated.
Here is one fairly recent one for setting it up with wpa/hostap http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50160

Wrong link?

#5 2010-07-09 22:07:25

kiruch
Website

Mr.Elendig, i have edited the thread title, sorry smile
I was trying to look up the howtos, but apparently i don't know how to ask Google so that it understands me... And instead of the link to a howto, you pasted the foam clubat url again smile

murffatksig, i bet my card is as basic as it can be. i have an Asus EeePC 2G Surf, and all specs i could find simply state that there is a wireless card, without saying anything about the model or manufacturer name.
how can i find this info without physically digging into the netbook?

edit: oh, here it is, the link. thanks! reading now.

Last edited by kiruch (2010-07-09 22:08:12)

#6 2010-07-09 22:23:18

anrxc
Website

i have an Asus EeePC 2G Surf, and all specs i could find simply state that there is a wireless card, without saying anything about the model or manufacturer name.

You need a card that supports the Master mode (atheros, intel, broadcom... basically all drivers that use the new wireless stack, i.e. http://linuxwireless.org). Verify the chipset of your card, determine the driver, and find out if it supports it. From there it's just a matter of configuring software.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#7 2010-07-10 00:39:21

kazuo
Website

kiruch wrote:

murffatksig, i bet my card is as basic as it can be. i have an Asus EeePC 2G Surf, and all specs i could find simply state that there is a wireless card, without saying anything about the model or manufacturer name.
how can i find this info without physically digging into the netbook?

lspci can usually give you the needed info (lsusb is another one you like to remember too). Another tool that can give you a lot more info is lshw (its is in community repo).

#8 2010-07-10 11:12:08

kiruch
Website

Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

hostap supports only Atheros ar521x, obviously (http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/)
bummer...

anyway, guys, thanks for the help..

Board footer