You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-10 09:30:08

Phobos

CenterIM and Facebook Chat

Trying to get Facebook Chat to work in CenterIM but I can't for some reason.. It's supposed to be a regular xmpp account, but whenever I try to connect I just get disconnected right away.

The server is supposed to be chat.facebook.com:5222, no encryption and the login is supposed to be your facebook username. Really don't understand why it's not working since I've gotten it to work in Finch (can't get Finch to play well with Swedish characters atm though) and other clients on other platforms as well.

So.. has anyone tried this and had any luck what so ever?

Oh and first post so.. Hi smile

#2 2010-07-10 11:26:07

Army

Re: CenterIM and Facebook Chat

Does your CenterIM work with other (real) jabber servers?

#3 2010-07-10 11:29:46

Phobos

Ah yeah sorry for not mentioning that.

Google Talk works like a charm so using jabber in general doesn't seem to be a problem either.

#4 2010-07-10 14:48:33

Army

Alright, so you did in facebook, what you have to do to make this possible? (iirc you have to create this user name first, then you are able to connect via jabber).

To be sure, I installed centerim and tried it myself and it doesn't work here ... seems like centerim is even worse than I always thought ;-)

To make a recommendation for you:
Seems like you want to have a cli instant messenger. I was searching around quite a long while for the best possible solution and there's really nothing better than bitlbee + irssi / weechat / ... simply because finch has a horrible interface, centerim is crap (imho), jabber with transports isn't always working that well, climm is interesting, but I seem to be not smart enough to use it right. I would love to use meebo.org via jabber, but that doesn't work... This might be a really great solution, because then I could use mcabber, my absolute favorite chat client.
With bitlbee the only thing that doesn't work is this file transfer thing, but who wants that? So setup your own bitlbee or use a public server, there are plenty. If you need help setting it up, please feel free to ask! But of course you should try it yourself first. I recommend irssi, because it has many scripts, e.g. one for typing notifications and yes there's also a way to get a contact list.

Alright, that's it for now

Last edited by Army (2010-07-10 14:48:44)

#5 2010-07-10 15:09:59

Phobos

Thanks for your effort mate smile

I always liked CenterIM, decent interface and usually works fine.. well except for Facebook then. Considering it supports IRC I should be able to get Facebook through it via BitlBee too I guess. I'll play around some more with irsii as well, been a while and i've never used it for anything but regular IRC and for that it worked fine.

And yeah, I don't care about file transfers.. this is mainly just something I want to be able to keep running on a screen session and check in on it now and then while at work. They sort of frown upon having an IM client running so it's handy to just detach and leave it till I need it again... smile

#6 2010-07-10 15:52:37

Army

Ok, that's true, I didn't think of that centerim supports irc. But I don't think the support is the best, I gave it a short try and ... it's very limited. But of course, try it out, maybe you like it.

#7 2010-07-10 21:38:37

Proofrific

Another good instant message client is pidgin (www.pidgin.im).  It's available in the repositories.

#8 2010-07-10 22:00:22

Army

Yeah sure, but pidgin is a GUI program and he definitely seems to look for a CLI solution. And - so you also know that - finch is the CLI version of pidgin, so in a way he already tried pidgin ... or lets say he already tried libpurple, which it all is built on

Board footer