You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-10 13:49:08

kryptobs2000

[SOLVED] No Sound in Gnome - Problem with GStreamer?

I've been using other distros for awhile, but this is my first time with Arch. Spent most of the morning getting it setup and now I'm pretty much done except getting sound to work I believe.

So, not sure what info I should give troubleshooting wise, please ask if anything else is required. Alsa detects it fine, but gstreamer gives me the following error:

No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.

Last edited by kryptobs2000 (2010-07-10 17:33:01)

#2 2010-07-10 14:56:00

kryptobs2000

Re: [SOLVED] No Sound in Gnome - Problem with GStreamer?

Just tryed playing a wav with aplay and it didn't give me any errors, but I didn't hear anything if that helps anymore. Running a amixer set MASTER 70% unmute also gives me the unable to find simple control 'MASTER',0 error too, though I can change the volume fine with alsamixer so I'm not sure why that is. The correct module is loaded (snd-hda-intel). Otherwise I'm at a complete loss.

edit: amixer set MASTER 70% gives me the same error on an ubuntu livecd where sound does work so that seems normal. I don't know what changed, but I can now open the volume control so the gstreamer error goes away, however I still can't get any sound, be it with aplay or something else. I'm starting to think the solution may be to pass on arch and move to something better.

Last edited by kryptobs2000 (2010-07-10 16:37:47)

#3 2010-07-10 17:35:25

kryptobs2000

Fixed it if anyone's curious, got some help from the irc channel, though it probably wasn't needed other than pointing out some shortsightedness on my part. The channels were muted, though in my defense it's set to come out of the side channels instead of the front, not sure why but this isn't proving a problem so I don't really care. I'll look into configuring that later if it's really an issue. Otherwise my errors were because of missing codecs I believe, though I'm still not sure what solved the initial thing where gstreamer didn't detect my card. Always like knowing what was wrong and why, but oh well.

#4 2010-07-10 23:26:42

jamba
Website

this sounds a lot like the problem I am having in my thread.

except my channels aren't muted.
I haven't tried the side output, only center and headphone, but i'll check that out and see if I have sound there.

did you have to change any codecs or anything?

#5 2010-07-10 23:39:09

kryptobs2000

I checked out your thread, but I don't think it's the same issue. It seems your soundcard isn't being detected for some reason, as windscape pointed out, where as mine was using the module properly I just couldn't hear sound. I'm pretty sure I unmuted every channel to test it at one point, but maybe I just didn't turn up the volume or something. .

Board footer