You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-11 15:47:08

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Alunn query

Helloo, I've just installed Alunn instead of archup as it looked quite good. Anyway I typed in alunn into the terminal to get it to go and I was met with these messages:

** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkWindow)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkInvisible)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkObject)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/alunn", line 130, in first_run_updates
    check_updates(icon)
  File "/usr/bin/alunn", line 37, in check_updates
    updates = update_checker.check()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/alunn/updatechecker.py", line 73, in check
    repo_db = tarfile.open(db_file, 'r:gz')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/tarfile.py", line 1671, in open
    return func(name, filemode, fileobj, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/tarfile.py", line 1722, in gzopen
    raise ReadError("not a gzip file")
tarfile.ReadError: not a gzip file

I've not come across these messages before, are they anything to worry about/stop alunn from working? Also I'm guessing it only appears with messages when there are news and updates and the rest of the time it is in the background invisible. Should I have to include it as a startup application or does it handle all that itself - the website and install guide never said so I'm asking anyone who uses it.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-12 23:24:02)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-07-12 16:53:59

nixpunk

Re: [SOLVED] Alunn query

#3 2010-07-12 18:22:17

Ben9250
Website

Thanks for that nixpunk! it's working now although still not sure if it's working in the background or whether I need to do it from terminal all the time.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#4 2010-07-12 19:16:19

nixpunk

Configure it as a startup application when X launches.  How you do that depends on how you or a login manager start X.

#5 2010-07-12 20:27:37

Ben9250
Website

nixpunk wrote:

Configure it as a startup application when X launches.  How you do that depends on how you or a login manager start X.

I use a loging manager - gdm, so I have graphicals pretty much from the start.

- H. G. Wells

#6 2010-07-12 22:44:36

nixpunk

Assuming you are using Gnome, just add it to the startup applications (under System >> Preferences, IIRC).

#7 2010-07-12 23:01:05

Ben9250
Website

I've done that, now I'm gonna restart and see if it comes up with the updates out today either when I boot up or 60 minutes after as that's the check interval. If that doesen't work then I suppose it would work as a cronjob.

[Edit] Yes luckily it does start up as a startup application! I was expecting it not too because of the bug and on the bug page it says/said somewhere the ONLY way to run it was through putting the command in the terminal. There is a fix at the bottom of the page, but also as of today a config file up there and a patch file that contains the fix implemented within it at the bottom of the page, incase anyone doesn't want to manipulate the file themselves. ^.^ Hope this is useful for anyone else. Might swanny over to the wiki and add a mention on the page. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-12 23:23:47)

- H. G. Wells

Board footer