You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-11 18:39:37

lilsirecho
Veteran

Dual boot archlinux and "live"OS

Haven't heard nor seen a setup for normal OS and "live"OS on a single install device.

My system is x86_64 and recently I installed archlinux to a CF flash card of 16GB using only 8GB of its capacity.

Thus, it occured to me that I could utilize the remaining 8GB to install a "live" system which can cp2ram on a second partition.  This would provide an operating arrangement utilizing CF card without constant read/writes as in a normal install since the OS would operate entirely in ram.  Ability to utilize data from the archlinux 8GB partition would be possible by mounting that partition while in the "live" system.

I presently have two "live" systems on CF cards...FaunOS and CTKarchlive.

Each has a different boot arrangement, syslinux and grub.

Either system operates in cp2ram, FaunOS is larger in size and uses kde3.5.  Ctkarchlinux (x86_64) is open box and has fewer packages.  FaunOS is i686 and is not maintained but is useable and normally functions in a manner similar to Larch.

Since I have not seen a combo of this nature, I wonder if there is a reason it will not work with a single CF card install to two partitions.

The present 16GB install is mbr grub.

It would seem ideal for CF flash to be used in a cp2ram environment, giving ~60MB/s hdparm read speed with adata speedy 533x CF card 16GB during the cp2ram and idle afterwards.  Long live the CF!

Thus, a single 16GB CF card would provide archlinux normal boot and a second "live" archlinux-based boot.

It would seem probable that the normal archlinux boot would eventually fail.  Then the "live" partition could replace it with an up-to-date new install.

Alternatively, install a backup archlinux in the second partition.

Maybe I shouldn't do this?  Gone bananas?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer