You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-12 11:02:42

Tim_Ley

'FAIL' message after filesystem check during boot

Every now and then during boot up the system checks the hard-drive. But when the check has finished the system issues a comment (in a box) that says `REBOOT LINUX'. I don't know whether this is supposed to be an instruction to me or a note to let me know what's about to happen. Anyway, after a minute or two of nothing happening a message pops up saying `[FAIL]' in worrying red letters. Again, I don't know whether this is a comment about me or about the system. There's no hint I can find about exactly what has failed.

This message is immediately followed by another message saying that the system will reboot in fifteen seconds, which it does (after fifteen seconds, of course). After this everything works fine, but I don't think this is quite what's supposed to happen (especially not the red [FAIL] bit).

So my questions are:

1) Is this normal?
2) If it is, what am I supposed to do when I receive the `REBOOT LINUX' message? Press the OFF switch (bit drastic...)? Type a command (if so, what)?
3) If it's not, what am I doing wrong? What has failed, and how do I stop it from failing next time?

Thanks for your time.

Tim

Last edited by Tim_Ley (2010-07-13 02:11:40)

#2 2010-07-12 11:30:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: 'FAIL' message after filesystem check during boot

Please change the thread title - garbage like that will just discourage people from reading.

Clearly, you know when and where the problem occurs, so just summarise that in the title.

Possible fix: boot your system with your favourite rescue cd/usb and run complete checks on all your filesystems.

#3 2010-07-12 16:32:52

karol
Archivist

> Please change the thread title - garbage like that will just discourage people from reading.
I think it would be a great movie title :-)

#4 2010-07-13 04:53:41

Tim_Ley

tomk wrote:

Please change the thread title - garbage like that will just discourage people from reading.

Clearly, you know when and where the problem occurs, so just summarise that in the title.

Possible fix: boot your system with your favourite rescue cd/usb and run complete checks on all your filesystems.

I'm very sorry about the title - I didn't mean to be a nuisance. I've changed it as requested (and I hope the new one is considered an improvement).

Meanwhile, as suggested, I've checked the filesystem using PuppyLinux, and everything would seem to be in order. I don't think it's the filesystem check that is causing the [FAIL] message, but whatever is supposed to happen next. What is supposed to happen after the automatic filesystem check?

#5 2010-07-13 05:40:05

fsckd
Forum Fellow

I don't know but I shall leave this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Boot .

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6 2010-07-26 09:32:21

Tim_Ley

Small update: I've just found this in the Wiki article about Splashy under `Known Problems':

2. Something goes "terribly wrong" when a forced filesystem check commences while Splashy is running. For some unknown reason (yet), the system reboots itself after the fsck.

This exactly what's happening to me (except, of course, that I'm not using Splashy). So while this doesn't solve the problem, it does point me in a new direction for research. It's not just me that experiences this problem, it's me and people who use Splashy. Now all I have to do is work out what I've done that Splashy also does that breaks the normal boot process!

Last edited by Tim_Ley (2010-07-26 09:33:30)

Board footer