You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-12 15:24:46

Mzg

USB support in Wine

Anyone got this working?

I've recently installed Wine 1.1.44 from the AUR, but programs seem to refuse to recognize any USB devices.

There is a patch for 1.1.28 (as explained here: http://wiki.winehq.org/USB), but I remember reading somewhere that it won't work on the newer 1.1.44. Also people seem to have got USB support out of the box with 1.1.44...

I guess I could try downloading 1.1.28 and apply the patch to that, and see if it works. But it would be nice to have the latest version (I'm on Arch, after all).

Archer.

#2 2010-07-12 16:01:12

gazj
Website

Re: USB support in Wine

The current version of wine is 1.1.44!  Although this is out of date now.  But the maintainer will no doubt get round to it.  Wine is a fast moving package a no doubt it is a headache to keep it up to date.

#3 2010-07-12 16:56:43

maxi_jac

Patch for wine-1.2-rc4 is available on http://snnicky.com/wine-1.2-rc4/

#4 2010-07-12 17:06:02

Mzg

Wait, 1.2-rc4 is not the same as 1.1.44? On Wine's webiste it says that the latest development release is 1.2-rc7 and that the latest stable release is 1.0.1

Archer.

#5 2010-07-12 19:22:56

Cr0k

I made a pkg for the 1.2-rc7 if you want, http://afur.archlinux.fr/pkg//x86_64/bi … pkg.tar.xz

Edit : Only for x86_64, sorry

Last edited by Cr0k (2010-07-12 19:25:14)

#6 2010-07-12 19:42:28

Mzg

I'm using 64bit, so that's no problem smile But I'm soon done cloning a git repo, so I'll just apply the patches maxi_jac linked to, and compile 1.2-rc4 from source. Maybe that'll work. I assume there are no patches for 1.2-rc7, or I could use that instead? None are mentioned on the Wine Wiki, anyway.

EDIT: Turned out this wasn't as easy as I thought. 32bit-Wine refused to compile under my 64bit environment, so I'm gonna have to set up a chroot. And that means downloading some more hundred megabytes. Which takes a while on my connecion. Hopefully it'll actually work in the end...

EDIT: ... and Wine somehow failed to compile in my chroot, so I'll have to re-download it again to retry - more hundred megabytes to download. I'm soon at the point of throwing my computer out of the window and taking up painting instead. But it's a learning experience.

Last edited by Mzg (2010-07-13 16:19:53)

Archer.

#7 2010-07-13 20:18:39

Mzg

Okay, seems like I got Wine to compile properly, though I'm not sure if USB is working right. Any fail-safe way to check this?

Archer.

#8 2010-07-13 23:20:14

Mzg

Looks bad. I installed a program called USBDeview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) which should show all USB devices that are connected to the computer, as well as the devices that have been connected in the past. It showed an empty list only (even though I have numerous USB devices connected), and did not detect it when I plugged in a flash drive.

In the terminal I ran it from, the following output was shown every time I refreshed the list from the program:

fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetDeviceNumber stub

Each refresh produced such a line. I assume this comes from wine, which obviously has not got the GetDeviceNumber for cdroms implemented. Why this affects USB device scanning I do not know...

Anyway, the real reason I wanted to get USB support was to run the Gearbox software from Line6, which is software that came with my external USB audio card. This software might have let me do my guitar recording in Linux, but as of now it refuses to detect that my audio card is connected, giving the output

fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOption Stub for 29
fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOption Stub for 28
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x100ae, filter=0xeeea14,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!

when starting (while trying to autodetect devices). It seems obvious from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … 85%29.aspx that RegisterDeviceNotification is a function Gearbox uses in the communication with the audio card.

As of now, this is what wine has to offer for this particular function (from wine/dlls/user32/misc.c):

HDEVNOTIFY WINAPI RegisterDeviceNotificationA(HANDLE hnd, LPVOID notifyfilter, DWORD flags)
{
     FIXME("(hwnd=%p, filter=%p,flags=0x%08x) returns a fake device notification handle!\n",
           hnd,notifyfilter,flags );
     return (HDEVNOTIFY) 0xcafecafe;
}

I don't know how much of C (or general Windows programming) you are familiar with, but I can tell you that the above code is not... uhm... quite complete, to put it like that. It's merely a placeholder, as of now. And even if this single function got implemented, there could still be countless other issues with getting Gearbox to run properly, since it's a quite hardware-oriented program. So I sadly conclude that Wine simply is not mature enough yet to run this particular software.

Otherwise, Wine seems to run well, and with the new chroot environment my system is cleaner (and flash works properly in firefox, now that it's all back to 32bit and doesn't rely on any sort of wrapper). So it hasn't been all wasted efforts. Time to try virtual machines, then smile

Archer.

Board footer