You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-13 04:35:41

mjohnson

[SOLVED] No link, activity lights on Ethernet port

Ethernet has been working fine on a computer I recently built, until just barely.  When the connection stopped working I looked at the back of the motherboard, and neither the link nor activity lights on the back of the motherboard are lit up at all.  The router it's connected to (a WRT54G) shows a steady, slow blinking on that port (on for a second, off for a second, etc.).  And when I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer and plug it into my laptop, it works fine, so it's not the cable or the router.  ifconfig shows eth0 and says it's up.  I'm totally baffled about (a) what changed, and (b) how to fix this.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by mjohnson (2010-07-14 18:47:45)

#2 2010-07-13 05:31:46

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] No link, activity lights on Ethernet port

> until just barely
Did you update sth, changed the settings?

Are you using dhcp? Is the daemon running? Can you ping sth?

Last edited by karol (2010-07-13 05:32:34)

#3 2010-07-14 18:47:28

mjohnson

Re: [SOLVED] No link, activity lights on Ethernet port

I did update some things, but nothing related to the network settings - and after changing them all back, it still doesn't work.  I used a static address, rather than DHCP, and I can't even ping something.

I tried booting an Ubuntu liveCD, and had the exact same problem there, so I'm thinking this is some sort of hardware problem.  I had a PCI NIC card laying around, which I installed, and then the onboard Ethernet port started working again.  But if it conks out again I'll have the PCI card.  Thanks for your help!

Board footer