You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-13 05:00:33

Vertig0

Permission errors in /home

Hi, I've searched the best I could do to find a solution to this problem, but I haven't found one yet!

So, on my fresh Arch install, I followed the newbie-guide and installed XFCE. I encountered a problem with permissions:

First, I couldn't even start xfce without being root. I fixed that by chowning .ICEauthority in /home/vertigo to vertigo. Secondly, I got some error about Dbus I think(Can't remember, but I don't get it anymore), that was fixed by chowning the whole /home/vertigo folder+subfolders. This was however not a overall great way to solve it, as the problem still remains on certain places. For example, when I try to open Namoroka, it asks for a user profile, and as I don't have one, I shall create one. But this isn't possible as it says permission denied when trying to create a folder for the user(in the default folder which is /home/vertigo/.mozilla/firefox/).

A friend also have this problem, and he "solves" it by chowning his home folder all the time, and that's just ridicolous. tongue

I would be glad for any help here! smile

Thanks!

#2 2010-07-13 05:26:01

karol
Archivist

Re: Permission errors in /home

Ummm, *everything* in home/vertigo should belong to vertigo.

#3 2010-07-13 05:49:33

empthollow

If it is necessary to chown your home directory over & over, I would guess that there is a problem or misconfiguration of another program that is causing that to be necessary.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#4 2010-07-13 05:52:08

karol
Archivist

Can you post the list of files that don't belong to vertigo but are in his home or subfolders?

> If it is necessary to chown your home directory over & over
Only if you chown it back to root in the meantime:
root -> vertigo -> root -> vertigo -> ...

#5 2010-07-13 06:06:36

loafer

You aren't running gui apps using sudo by any chance are you?  That often changes the permissions on certain file in your home dir (.ICEauthority being a classic example).

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#6 2010-07-13 06:07:38

karol
Archivist

> You aren't running gui apps using sudo by any chance are you?
<blink blink>
Yeah, that would make sense ...

Board footer