You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-13 09:15:11

drsjlazar
Website

KDE - disable middle-click paste

Hi all,

I would like to disable the paste on middle-click feature. I am using a laptop running Arch 64bit and KDE, and have edge scrolling and corner tapping enabled. Annoyingly I find myself pasting stuff when I don't want to. So I just want to turn the feature off. I have done some googling but all I am finding is stuff I don't want to do. Things I don't want to do...

-disable middle click on the touchpad
-remap middle-click to left-click, etc
-change how the OS detects a middle-click
-get used to it

I just don't want middle-click to paste stuff. How can I do this? Thanks.

#2 2010-07-13 11:02:39

v3s

Re: KDE - disable middle-click paste

Try left-click on desktop -> Desktop Activity Settings -> Mouse Actions and remove there Middle-Button - Paste entry..

LenovoT61_ArchLinux_x86_64_KDE4

#3 2010-07-13 11:15:53

Labello
Website

v3s wrote:

Try left-click on desktop -> Desktop Activity Settings -> Mouse Actions and remove there Middle-Button - Paste entry..

won't work!

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#4 2010-07-13 11:31:47

mutlu_inek

Labello wrote:
v3s wrote:

won't work!

That option does something else: it creates a paste plasma widget.

Read this, if you use the synaptics driver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

#5 2010-07-13 11:43:44

drsjlazar
Website

v3s wrote:

That works only for middle-clicking on the plasma desktop. It still pastes in apps like Kate.

#6 2010-07-13 11:48:26

drsjlazar
Website

mutlu_inek wrote:

Read this, if you use the synaptics driver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

I am using Synaptics and I have it configured the way I want... i.e. corner tap for middle-click. The thing is I don't want middle-click to paste.

#7 2010-07-13 11:56:44

scarletxfi

someone has already disabled middle click pasting in X.
see if it helps you:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=762554

also try this out:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- … ost2075471

Last edited by scarletxfi (2010-07-13 11:59:23)

#8 2010-07-13 12:23:26

drsjlazar
Website

scarletxfi wrote:

someone has already disabled middle click pasting in X.
see if it helps you:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=762554

also try this out:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- … ost2075471

Thanks for the links. I had come across the first one already, but neither of them solves my problem.

I'm not sure how else I can explain myself... I do not want to disable middle-click or remap it to another button... because I use it to close tabs, open in new tab, etc. I definitely do not want to disable tapping or reconfigure synaptics to recognize scrolling or taps differently.

I just want it so that when I middle-click, nothing is pasted.

#9 2010-07-13 12:56:25

toad
Website

How bizarre. I find this one of the single most useful settings in a standard DE and wouldn't even dream to get rid of it. Funny though that you can't...

Since nothing else has helped you how about using xbindkeys to reset the value for your middle mouse buttton?

EDIT:

I think you can do that using the evdev driver, but don't quote me, read the wiki smile

Last edited by toad (2010-07-13 12:58:10)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#10 2010-07-13 12:57:36

mutlu_inek

drsjlazar wrote:

I'm not sure how else I can explain myself... I do not want to disable middle-click or remap it to another button... because I use it to close tabs, open in new tab, etc. [...] I just want it so that when I middle-click, nothing is pasted.

Hmmm... I guess I really don't get it. You do want the middle-click to work, but you don't want it to do what it is supposed to do in X. The standard is to paste clipboard content. If you use the middle mouse button e.g. to create a new tab, it navigates to the clipboard content (assuming it is a valid urI). This has nothing to do with KDE, but is a standard X feature, which you can disable, but which means that you simply have no middle mouse button. See also https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input# … el%20mouse

I guess what we don't understand is what you want the middle mouse button to do.

#11 2010-07-13 13:37:21

drsjlazar
Website

smile OK, let me give some examples of what happens.

This is how I have my touchpad configured:
-Top right corner = button 2
- Bottom right corner = button 3
- Right edge = edge scrolling
(This works best for me being right handed)

I select some text and 20 minutes later when it has no relevance, I'll be typing in Kate and when I try to scroll sometimes I start close to the corner and it pastes whatever is in the clipboard. Same thing happens when I try to scroll in a browser... which runs a Google search for the clipboard contents. I can disable it in the browser but it still remains in other apps.

How do I use the middle button? My main use it to open links in a new tab in the browser. Clicking on tabs closes the tab. But if I slightly miss the link or accidentally middle-click with my palm, I get the Google search. I agree that middle-click pasting is cool, but when it disrupts the experience regularly, it does become irritating. Besides, Ctrl(+Shift)+V works just as well for me.

@mutlu_inek The Ubuntu wiki link you gave disables middle-click completely. So, it's not much help.

@toad I'll have to look up on that evdev driver.

I've been dealing with it for months... but now I just want to turn it off. I thought it would be easier...
[edit] What is strange is that my old laptop was setup the same way and I almost never had these unexpected middle clicks.

Last edited by drsjlazar (2010-07-13 13:42:30)

#12 2010-07-13 18:42:49

mutlu_inek

I'd say that whatever the button is configured to do, placing it in a way that it can easily be clicked accidentally is plain broken. I'd just move the button functionality somewhere else (maybe a different corner). Good luck finding a solution.

#13 2010-07-13 19:54:43

tavianator
Website

The X selection (technically, the PRIMARY clipboard) seems to be hard-coded into X.  Not sure how to disable the mouse button trigger.

#14 2010-07-13 22:56:54

scarletxfi

have you tried increasing the time X waits before registering the click? (so you'll be sure you want to open a new tab and not paste)
ie. only if you click it for second will it register.
"Option "Emulate3Timeout" "integer"
Sets the timeout (in milliseconds) that the driver waits before deciding if two buttons where pressed "simultaneously" when 3 button emulation is enabled. Default: 50."

http://www.xfree86.org/4.8.0/mouse.4.html

edit: rewording

Last edited by scarletxfi (2010-07-13 22:57:55)

Board footer