You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-13 19:54:09

poopship21

ipad as thin client

after reading this:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ix11-x-s … 15946?mt=8

i am optimistic about using an ipad as the ultimate x-server.  go anywhere (where there is blazing fast networking) and connect to X running on a desktop workstation with a fast university connection.

since i have an iphone for 3g (really only an emergency luxury for me) and since the base-model 16gb is more than enough for a thin client, i am intruiged by the freedom that a vanilla ipad could provide.

any thoughts on this?

#2 2010-07-13 20:08:00

karol
Archivist

Re: ipad as thin client

> ipad as thin client
Your wallet would be pretty thin too. Netbooks are cheaper and have a real kbd - the 12" ones are really neat.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. IMNHO it's gadgetry and overengineering, but I suppose we just have different needs wrt to networking.

#3 2010-07-13 20:40:15

poopship21

the appeal of this gadget is that it eliminates the complexity and weight of a tablet notebook.  i thnk there may be certain configurations which allow productive typing on the ipad without sacrificing effective viewing and input functionality when held in the palm while standing.  you cant do that in a traditional notebook and i havent seen any fold/swivel hardware implemented yet in a tablet that looked light and yet robust enough to make existing tablets comfortable anywhere but the desktop

#4 2010-07-13 20:42:46

poopship21

that said, the lenovo x200 series is nice

#5 2010-07-14 14:01:44

brisbin33
Website

iSSH (9.99) is a nice app for SSH and tunneled VNC to *nix boxes.  The RSA key import + tunneled VNC sold me, though I haven't had a chance to test anything other than a simple SSH into a non-keyed box.  There were no complaints in the comments though so I'm assuming all will work when I get to is.

#6 2010-07-14 14:05:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thin client without a keyboard? No thanks....

The idea is cool. Wouldn't use it myself though.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2010-07-14 14:48:27

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I've tried some solutions with using a tablet as a client, but I always get frustrated eventually from not having a keyboard. For me a netbook is a far nicer solution, or some kind of hybrid solution like the OQO Model 02 which I've been playing with at work recently.

I use the command line quite a bit though.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#8 2010-08-01 06:35:08

poopship21

i agree that keyboards are the issue.  the beauty of tablets is that one can wield them from a standing position, or from the lap (when typing).  i went to the apple store the other day just to give it a try.  one thing that always worried me about touch typing on the virtual keyboard is the lack of response.  by response i mean the keys crunching down on their silicone trampolines, or buckle-springs, as mine do now (on the one and only IBM model M, its 30 years old but still rocks the socks off of most newer boards for performance, and also for bruce campbell style can opening).  thats not the real catch though.  its the fact that your fingers need to position themselves, something we iphone users often forget when using the thumbs which seem to be more spatially aware than the rest of the digits.  some kind of adhesive screen protector with a four-sided array of dimples at the "f" and "j" positions would do just fine for orientation of the hands, but alas this kind of product is non-existent.

Board footer