You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-15 07:52:15

TheMuffinMan

AwesomeWM Cursors

I have been searching google and this forum for various ideas on this and I have found several however I am still having problems.

Just installed awesome and I cannot get the cursor theme to work. I have the .Xdefaults theme set up like I would on say Openbox, so firefox and the like have the correct  cursor. I also have

xsetroot -d :0 -cursor_name left_ptr &

in my .xinitrc. This allows my desktop background to also have the correct theme.

My problem is this:
1) The correct cursor does not appear when hovering over the status bar and
2) A restart of awesome gets rid of the correct cursor over the desktop background

#2 2010-07-15 11:42:45

anrxc
Website

Re: AwesomeWM Cursors

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2010-07-15 14:34:36

cinan
Website

I had a problem with a cursor in Awesome, too. I have `xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr' in script running automatically when Awesome starts (I didn't tried the trick with .Xdefaults). But after launching any app the cursor changed to ugly black one. This helped me: in /usr/share/awesome/lib/awful/util.lua change `if sn == nil then sn = true end' to `if sn == nil then sn = false end'. Now the cursor never changes, there's still the one you chose.

Last edited by cinan (2010-07-15 14:45:44)

#4 2010-07-15 17:01:39

TheMuffinMan

Hmm after re-reading this it seems to imply that it is only possible to enable custom cursor themes over the desktop background. If this is the case, I may have to switch to dwm.

I had a problem with a cursor in Awesome, too. I have `xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr' in script running automatically when Awesome starts (I didn't tried the trick with .Xdefaults). But after launching any app the cursor changed to ugly black one. This helped me: in /usr/share/awesome/lib/awful/util.lua change `if sn == nil then sn = true end' to `if sn == nil then sn = false end'. Now the cursor never changes, there's still the one you chose.

This doesn't seem to fix my problem. My cursor theme does not dissapear after an application's launch. My main problem is that the cursor stays ugly when hovering over the top status bar.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan (2010-07-15 17:02:54)

Board footer