You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-16 02:03:59

DStein

KDE Dolphin's "Places" vs. symbolic links

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo on my home network and it is comfigured to share via CFS (NFS is disabled).  From what I can tell this device is running a chopped down version of Debian.  If I create a link to a share using KDE's GUI tools, the share link appears in Dolphin's "Places".  While this is nice and convenient for when you're in Dolphin, it appears almost useless for anything else.  No other apps see the link to the share in their dialog boxes.  So I decided to go with the method of creating an empty directory (~/archives) and then I put in the applicable entry in /etc/fstab.  After discovering the noauto option for fstab, this works fine.

Here is where I am scratching my head:  As an example I have a directory within the share that is named "(1979) - Degüello".  When navigating the file tree using the Places link, the umlaut shows just fine.  However, when doing this via my mountpoint, the umlaut shows up as a symbol that looks like a question mark inside of a black diamond.  And I just noticed that it appears I have read-only access through the mountpoint, but full r/w access through places.

Am I not getting to my destination via smb in both cases?  And if I am, why am I seeing these discrepencies?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Board footer