You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-17 15:38:13

overlord_manny

Bad magic number error on boot.

Randomly on boot up I'll get a message "Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb3" and I get the option to login as root and repair, which never works, or reboot with Control-D.

I say randomly because sometimes my boot is totally clean and all filesystems are shown to be clean.

All the partitions on this Arch system are on the same drive. I have a swap, /, /boot, and /home. / is mounted on sdb3 and it and /home are formatted as ext4.

I really notice it happen more often after I have been using Windows 7 for a while (As a PC gamer I can't totally drop Windows ugh). When it happens I find that if I log in as root (without repairing) and use 'shutdown -r now' that typically the next boot is all fine, But if I just use control -D to reboot I typically get the error again. This could all be coincidence but thought it was worth noting.

I don't think this drive is failing. It's a fairly new raptor drive. When I'm using it, it has no issues at all, just that random error on boot occasionally.

Any ideas what could be the real cause here or know a possible good fix?

#2 2010-11-17 11:21:24

mizogs

Re: Bad magic number error on boot.

I had this error message and for me it turned out to be related to the re-ordering of sda1, sda2 with sdb1, sdb2, etc after I moved some discs around. It was nothing to do with magic numbers at all.

Hope this helps somebody else with this problem.

One life - live it. (and drink the best wine first)

#3 2010-11-17 14:38:35

ChoK

Re: Bad magic number error on boot.

If /dev/sdb3 is ext3 or ext4 it might be good to force-fsck with e2fsck -pvf /dev/sdb3. Umount your partition before doing that or boot from a livecd.

Side question, do you also mount this partition from windows with ext2ifs or ext2fsd? because last time I tried them they were kind of buggy and didn't unmount cleanly the partition.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

Board footer