You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-18 19:17:54

stonecrest

[request] adesklets (similar to gdesklets)

I was surprised to find that adesklets hasn't been mentioned on this forum a single time. Anyway, it's similar to gdesklets/superkaramba except that there are no Gnome or KDE dependencies and it's meant to be more lightweight than gdesklets.

http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/

There's even a starterbar-like desklet (which is why I really want it wink).

Any chance someone could give this a whirl? Thanks!

I am a gated community.

#2 2005-02-18 19:52:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: [request] adesklets (similar to gdesklets)

this actually looks really cool - has lots of promise

#3 2005-02-19 00:06:07

stonecrest

Okay, I had some problems installing it and have gotten the issue resolved. Before you "make install" when compiling it, open up the /scripting/python/adesklets/communicator.py file and replace

os.execvp(program,args)

with

os.execvp('/usr/local/bin/adesklets',args)

Then do your make install and everything should work. The developer is going to fix this but he's out of town for the next few days so this is a current workaround.

I'd make a PKBUILD for others but I haven't taken the time to learn about it yet, sorry.

Now time to play around with it  8)

I am a gated community.

#4 2005-02-19 00:54:52

dp
Website

stonecrest wrote:

Okay, I had some problems installing it and have gotten the issue resolved. Before you "make install" when compiling it, open up the /scripting/python/adesklets/communicator.py file and replace

os.execvp(program,args)

with

os.execvp('/usr/local/bin/adesklets',args)

Then do your make install and everything should work. The developer is going to fix this but he's out of town for the next few days so this is a current workaround.

I'd make a PKBUILD for others but I haven't taken the time to learn about it yet, sorry.

Now time to play around with it  8)

a suggestion for the PKGBUILD::build():

sed -i 's|os.execvp(program,args)|os.execvp('/usr/bin/adesklets',args)|g' $startdir/$pkgname-$pkgver/scripting/python/adesklets/communicator.py

... so that nobody manipulates things by hand ;-) ... oh ... and we do not use /usr/local but /usr

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2005-03-15 21:23:24

corky

Just wondered how you are getting on with this, I've had a quick try but hit a few problems, did you have any luck in the end?

mov ah, 0
int 16h

#6 2005-03-15 21:27:51

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

corky wrote:

Just wondered how you are getting on with this, I've had a quick try but hit a few problems, did you have any luck in the end?

What are the problems?

#7 2005-03-15 22:25:04

nuopus

Here is a PKGBUILD for it .... I did not run into the issue with python that was described earlier. Maybe it was fixed?

# Contributor: Christopher Cox <nuopus@gmail.com>

pkgname=adesklets
pkgver=0.4.5
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Interactive desktop integrated graphic applets."
url="http://adesklets.sourceforge.net"
license="GPL"
depends=('python' 'imlib2' 'x-server')
makedepends=()
source=(http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/adesklets/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=()

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

This software does not seem as friendly as gdesklets of superkaramba however. As long as it does not have the horrid dependency problems of gdesklets its okay! :-)

EDIT: Made changes to the dependencies .. now imlib2 and x-server. Please excuse me, I am a convert from Debian based systems and am trying to adapt myself to Arch.

#8 2005-03-16 02:00:52

shadowhand
Website

Thanks nuopus, works great for me too. I hope they add more desklets soon. That would be awesome....

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#9 2005-03-16 04:07:32

nuopus

shadowhand wrote:

Thanks nuopus, works great for me too. I hope they add more desklets soon. That would be awesome....

Your welcome. I hope to be just as active in here as I was with the Ubuntu community. This seems like a great distribution.

#10 2005-03-16 10:44:24

Legout

why do u put as dependency imlib2-cvs?? Only imlib2>=1.1.2 is neede. And the normal imlib2 is actually versio 1.1.2.

#11 2005-03-16 11:04:18

shadowhand
Website

Legout wrote:

why do u put as dependency imlib2-cvs?? Only imlib2>=1.1.2 is neede. And the normal imlib2 is actually versio 1.1.2.

It says the newer the better. I almost edited that myself, then changed my mind. I think imlib2-cvs would be faster and more stable, and anything that requires imlib2 will work just fine with imlib2-cvs.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#12 2005-03-16 20:22:36

beniro

Thanks alot for this.  If I wrote python (I've been planning to learn, but...), I'd be writing some desklets.  I'm really happy to hear about this project.  gdesklets/karamba are kinda antithetical to my blackbox setup...surely the god would strike me down?  wink

I was wandering around...ok, how do I get this desklet to run...dammit!  But all you have to do is execute the actual desklet script.  Awesome.

I would have had the dependencies as: python, imlib2, x-server, though.

If it's just imlib2, people can have either imlib2 or imlib2-cvs, because imlib2-cvs provides imlib2...if the dep is imlib2-cvs, it will complain if the normal imlib2 pkg is installed, right?

x-server instead of xorg will allow the wierdos still using xfree to install this as well, right?

I'm a newbie at package building, so I'm just commenting.

Thanks again for bringging this to my attention and building it for the community!!!  Great work!  smile

#13 2005-03-17 00:54:26

nuopus

beniro wrote:

Thanks alot for this.  If I wrote python (I've been planning to learn, but...), I'd be writing some desklets.  I'm really happy to hear about this project.  gdesklets/karamba are kinda antithetical to my blackbox setup...surely the god would strike me down?  wink

I was wandering around...ok, how do I get this desklet to run...dammit!  But all you have to do is execute the actual desklet script.  Awesome.

I would have had the dependencies as: python, imlib2, x-server, though.

If it's just imlib2, people can have either imlib2 or imlib2-cvs, because imlib2-cvs provides imlib2...if the dep is imlib2-cvs, it will complain if the normal imlib2 pkg is installed, right?

x-server instead of xorg will allow the wierdos still using xfree to install this as well, right?

I'm a newbie at package building, so I'm just commenting.

Thanks again for bringging this to my attention and building it for the community!!!  Great work!  smile

I am new to package building in Arch, but not new to package building in general. The Arch PKGBUILD is a very nice system indeed. Currently I have currently made pkgbuilds for Azureus with gnome desktop menus, gnomebaker, limewire-basic, adesklets, gtk-sharp-unstable, f-spot and ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7!!! lol

#14 2005-03-17 09:09:34

stonecrest

Thanks nuopus. It turns out that my problem was because I wasn't compiling with --prefix=/usr :oops: I'm still pretty new to Arch, I didn't realize that just allowing things compile to /usr/local was a no-no.

By the way, has anyone seen the new modubar? It's the yab desklet plus other modular components. Right now the only additional module is a clock but it's going to be awesome!

I am a gated community.

#15 2005-03-17 16:29:19

beniro

That modubar is awesome.  I just downloaded it and it works great, especially compared to the old gdesklets one.  I'm hooked.  It doesn't gobble CPU or RAM, and is very attractive.  Thanks.

#16 2005-03-17 20:10:46

beniro

I was going to use the acpumon desklet and it had a couple of deps.  Here they are:

Get the packages here (libstatgrab and pystatgrab).  I left the URLs off the PKGBUILD:

http://www.i-scream.org/

# libstatgrab
pkgname=libstatgrab
pkgver=0.11.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc=" libstatgrab is a library that provides cross platform access to statistics about the system on which it's run"
url="http://www.i-scream.org/"
depends=(perl)
conflicts=()
backup=()
install=
source=($pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=()

build() {
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}
# pystatgrab
pkgname=pystatgrab
pkgver=0.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A set of bindings in Python that wrap up the libstatgrab library"
url="http://www.i-scream.org/"
depends=('python' 'libstatgrab')
conflicts=()
backup=()
install=
source=($pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=()

build() {
        python setup.py install --root=$startdir/pkg
}

I'm new a package building, so let me know what I could change.  I'm not 110% sure of the deps, so...  Good luck, feedback is welcome.  smile

#17 2005-03-31 15:18:29

FUBAR
Website

I just changed the version in nuopus' PKGBUILD to 0.4.6 and it made a package fine! smile Now I'm going to install some desklets. I'll post their PKGBUILDs when they work.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#18 2005-03-31 15:40:58

FUBAR
Website

Here's the first! The Calendar desklet:

PKGBUILD

pkgname=adesklet-calendar
archivename=Calendar
pkgver=0.4.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A simple desklet that displays a calendar."
url="http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/desklets.html"
groups=
provides=
depends=('adesklets')
makedepends=()
conflicts=()
replaces=()
backup=()
install=()
source=(http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/adesklets/$archivename-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('6a99a17426dfe8c280cd57d4f29084d8')

build() {
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/adesklets/$archivename
  cp -a $startdir/src/$archivename-$pkgver/* $startdir/pkg/usr/share/adesklets/$archivename/
  echo '==> $pkgname was installed to /usr/share/adesklets/$archivename'
  echo '==> Run /usr/share/adesklets/$archivename/$archivename.py to execute it' 
}

I wasn't sure where to put the .py-script: I decided to put it in /usr/share/adesklets/Calendar. If that's not the way it should be, please let me know.
I also included an extra variable $archivename since the author of the desklet likes to call it Calendar, not calendar. Oh well, it works! smile

[edit]
Updated the PKGBUILD.
[/edit]

#19 2005-03-31 16:40:02

FUBAR
Website

The above PKGBUILD seems to work for "every" desklet, all you need to do is change the $pkgname, $pkgver and $archivename. Also change $pkgdesc and $md5sums to clean things up.

How do you configure those things tho? When I make changes, it usually accepts them when I restart the desklet but after that I always end up with the default settings!

#20 2005-03-31 17:52:16

beniro

Hello, FUBAR.

Good work!

I just wanted to mention that on a single-user system, the desklets could just be extracted into a dir in ~/.  I keep mine in ~/.desklets and run them from there.

#21 2005-03-31 18:53:44

FUBAR
Website

Yeah, you're right. I noticed the desklets wouldn't run as normal user when I installed them to /usr/share/... because only root had write permission for the config-file. I took the easy way out and chowned the entire adesklets dir to my normal user.

I wouldn't know how to install the files to a userdir using a PKGBUILD.

#22 2005-03-31 19:36:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm there's no way to install to home from a PKGBUILD....
I would suggest outputting something to tell them to copy the desklet... but pehaps the desklet config could be changed to look in ~/ first or something... dunno

#23 2005-04-09 20:56:19

tmadhavan

Just a note for XFCE4 users:

If you find you cannot start adesklets from your .xinitrc, try replacing 'exec xfce-session' with:

xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xftaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &
adesklets &
exec xfce4-panel

that got it working for me - cheers to cactus for the help.

T

#24 2005-04-10 03:37:14

Cam
Website

I've been using adesklets for a while now and it's suprisingly simple to write your own desklets. Really really easy actually, I didn't know any Python before I started and I still don't really, but I can write desklets, just got a little of the basic syntax down and the imlib2 functions.

#25 2005-04-15 05:58:31

TheRaginAsian
Website

Hey all, im getting this when trying to use any desklet:

adesklets.error_handler.ADESKLETSError: adesklets interpreter initialization error - Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 14: not well-formed (invalid token)

Any help is appriciated.

EDIT: Well, turns out if I actually used my freaking brain, i woulda fixed it before I had even said anything. Line 14 of my local.conf was commented wrong tongue.

John Gallias
Technician/Friend/Bassist
http://www.concretearmy.com
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com
Arch Linux v0.7 (Wombat), XFce 4.2, XOrg, Firefox

Board footer