You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-19 22:47:11

edtaylor09@hotmail.co.uk

Modules not loading :(

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forums. big_smile

I've been using Archlinux for nearly a year now. It is my first ever GNU/Linux distribution. I have never seen a faster, customisable, and more stable OS than this one. smile

I used hwdetect to list all of the detected modules in ordered mode, after which I disabled 'MOD_AUTOLOAD=' in /etc/rc.conf and pasted the said modules in the 'MODULES=' line for them.
This is to compare the boot speed of the kernel, automatically loading modules and manual instruction my me, the user, through bootchart. The latter increased my system's boot-time
by 5s, prior to setting 'MOD_AUTOLOAD=' to 'no'. This of course, to me, didn't make any sense whatsoever hmm

Nevertheless, I re-edited /etc/rc.conf with nano and removed all of the listed, ordered modules
detected by hwdetect. I then rebooted my system -- only to realise that I forgot to set 'MOD_AUTOLOAD=' to 'yes'. sad

Arch booted up and Slim loaded, however keyboard input was non-existent, as with everything else for that matter as I should so rightly think sad

I have made a silly mistake..

I would like to know whether I can append code or parameters in the kernel line before booting into it with GRUB, so modules can load again. Any solutions are welcome smile

Thank you in advance smile

Edward

#2 2010-07-19 23:11:14

V for Vivian

Re: Modules not loading :(

What comes to my mind is booting from a CD or USB Stick (for example the arch install medium), mounting the root filesystem and editing rc.conf this way.

YES WE CAN
(but that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to)

#3 2010-07-20 00:22:37

edtaylor09@hotmail.co.uk

I've never used an Arch live cd to mount '/root' before. Could you please walk me though it? smile

#4 2010-07-20 00:54:56

Xabre

Well, it should be as simple as booting a livecd, and

mkdir -p /mnt/disk
mount  /dev/<root_partition_on_your_hard_drive>  /mnt/disk
nano /mnt/disk/etc/rc.conf

#5 2010-07-20 07:10:15

edtaylor09@hotmail.co.uk

Xabre wrote:

Well, it should be as simple as booting a livecd, and

mkdir -p /mnt/disk
mount  /dev/<root_partition_on_your_hard_drive>  /mnt/disk

Should I input to livecd console like this? (Based on my system of course)

mkdir -p /mnt/disk
mount  /dev/sda2  /mnt/disk

#6 2010-07-20 11:25:28

falconindy
Developer
Website

Append a '1' or 'single' to the kernel commandline in GRUB and you'll get a maintenance shell. Edit rc.conf and reboot (or trigger module loading manually via udevadm and continue booting).

I'm surprised that in a year's time you didn't come across the [wiki]chroot[/wiki] article in the wiki.

#7 2010-07-20 22:27:05

edtaylor09

falconindy wrote:

Append a '1' or 'single' to the kernel commandline in GRUB and you'll get a maintenance shell. Edit rc.conf and reboot (or trigger module loading manually via udevadm and continue booting).

I'm surprised that in a year's time you didn't come across the [wiki]chroot[/wiki] article in the wiki.

Thank you for taking the time to help me(and to the others too), this solved the problem elegantly smile I know what chroot is, but I have never been in a situation where I need to use this.

It's a constant learning experience -- one of the many great things about Arch:)

Board footer