You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-20 19:03:40

JohnieBraaf
Website

System performance (speed) with many packages installed

Dear all,

Since I'm busy tweaking my Arch linux installation, which involves installing my favorite programs on my GNOME installation.

Well the thing is that KDE has some killer apps to, like amarok for example. This can be run on GNOME but requires a lot of KDE libraries.

My question is:

Does the addition of these KDE libraries to the system decrease the overall performance, like it would in Microsoft Windows due to a bigger registry.

I can imagine that more dependencies, take more time to load, and thus negatively impact the performance of the system.

Couldn't find an answer to this basic question anywhere on the internet, so I hope somebody can shed some light on this matter.

Regards, Jan

#2 2010-07-20 19:06:56

karol
Archivist

Re: System performance (speed) with many packages installed

> Does the addition of these KDE libraries to the system decrease the overall performance, like it would in Microsoft Windows due to a bigger registry.
No.

> I can imagine that more dependencies, take more time to load.
The system takes more time to update, since you need to update 500 and not 300 packages, but 'dependencies' (shared libs?) load only if/when you need them - like when you're running Amarok.

#3 2010-07-20 20:21:56

JohnieBraaf
Website

Thank you, that clarifies my question and also justifies me to try and install the different other window managers available without performance penalties.

#4 2010-07-20 20:26:03

karol
Archivist

JohnieBraaf wrote:

Thank you, that clarifies my question and also justifies me to try and install the different other window managers available without performance penalties.

More stuff takes up more disk space but if you know what you're doing, various components shouldn't step on each other's toes. A KDE environment can be run in 150 MB RAM (but Amarok is a heavyweight and needs another 150 ;-) ) and it generally is as responsive as any other DE / WM.

Board footer