You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-21 07:09:24

Labello
Website

Lightspark - Pulseaudio dependency? WHUT?

hi all!

why does lightspark have pulseaudio as dependency? isn't there any way around it? moreover it needs gtk2?

i don't really get why :-(

i am KDE-user so I have no need for pulse or gtk.

greetings

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#2 2010-07-21 07:46:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Lightspark - Pulseaudio dependency? WHUT?

Use an AUR comment to ask the maintainer - he may not see this thread.

#3 2010-07-21 07:47:44

wonder
Developer
Website

so from your frustration i see that you think those dependencies are not need. please do your homework well before starting a flame.

more or less the developer is using pulse audio and if you read his blog, you'll find out that pulse is needed. you can remove pulse after is compiled but you will not hear any audio

http://allievi.sssup.it/techblog/?p=449

Sound sup-port using pulseau-dio. If you want to try Lightspark with-out installing the pulse server that's ok, as Lightspark detects at run-time if the  server is avail-able and if not it just politely dis-ables sound.

ps. your comment about being a kde user is useless as pulseaudio is not a gnome thngy like you are suggestion. WE chose not to include support in gnome or kde. you should start admitting that gtk is good and qt is bad tongue

Last edited by wonder (2010-07-21 07:52:57)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2010-07-21 08:22:46

Labello
Website

just forget about it. thanks for nothing. i will continue to just bow for your infinite knowledge and wisdom.

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"

#5 2010-07-21 09:30:02

wonder
Developer
Website

Labello wrote:

just forget about it. thanks for nothing. i will continue to just bow for your infinite knowledge and wisdom.

no idea why you are upsetting. the bottom line is that both are dependencies and that's it.

the only thing that you can do is to code and add alsa/oss/<insert here> support to drop pulse dependency

#6 2010-07-21 10:12:00

karol
Archivist

Many apps can be 'hacked' away - mplayer can survive w/o lirc-utils - and that means you don't need python any more. You can also do away with smbclient.

And please, it's scorching here, so no flaming.

#7 2010-07-21 10:23:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

If a programmer decides that his project REQUIRES pulseaudio there's nothing our devs/TUs can do about it. No reason to get upset at wonder.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-07-21 17:19:23

bananaoomarang

Labello wrote:

OK , calm down. Go and complain to the lightspark dev (or preferably don't complain at all). There is ABSOLUTLY nothing the arch devs can do about this 'problem'.

EDIT: by the way your thread title sounds like a realistic atempt at a recent phoronix article.

Last edited by bananaoomarang (2010-07-21 17:20:45)

#9 2010-07-21 18:27:12

Labello
Website

i am just upset because wonder somehow tells me to read the blog of every developer and every package i want to install and calls this homework.

in retrospect it should have been obvious that this is not anyones fault since if there would have been a KISSer approach in packaging it i am shure the package-maintainer would have gone for it.

@bananaoomarang: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQyOQ this one?

#10 2010-07-21 18:43:07

wonder
Developer
Website

Labello wrote:

... if there would have been a KISSer approach in packaging it i am shure the package-maintainer would have gone for it.

just wanted to point out that we are packing our packages the way we like and if you don't like it, just use abs(in this situation aur build) and modify it.

#11 2010-07-21 20:52:36

bananaoomarang

Labello wrote:

That one is the most recet example yes, but the quality of the articles has been going down over the past months. Can't really blame the guy too much though, he's been doing it fo yars and must be bored.

#12 2010-07-21 22:49:07

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Labello wrote:

i am just upset because wonder somehow tells me to read the blog of every developer and every package i want to install and calls this homework.

in retrospect it should have been obvious that this is not anyones fault since if there would have been a KISSer approach in packaging it i am shure the package-maintainer would have gone for it.

You're using Arch. The first thing to do when something like this happens (package A shouldn't need dependency B) is to search package A's website to see if B is really a dependency rather than posting a thread about it. That's the DIY mentality expected of Arch users.

The second line is spot-on (in most cases), though I expect to see pulseaudio being default in gnome-related stuff eventually since that's what upstream is doing. Which means most gnome apps will pull in pulseaudio. If what Colin is doing in Mandriva is any good, the same will be the case for KDE.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer