You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-22 01:44:45

barkovichjr

Volume not going as high as it can.

I notice that in some environments I'm able to increase the volume much louder then I can with alsamixer or ossmix.  In a Windows install or on a pulse audio setup on Mint/Ubuntu I'm able to go past "maximum" so to speak.  Does anyone have any insight into this? Do I just need a different mixer or can I somehow set the limits within alsamixer?  I have noticed this across multiple systems, it seems to be a software issue, as the same thing arises on 3 systems with 3 different types of hardware audio.  Help me turn it up to 11, I'm not rocking nearly hard enough.

#2 2010-07-22 03:55:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Volume not going as high as it can.

Alsamixer is 'hard-limited' in the sense that 100% is all it'll give you. You'd need a software amplifier. For me I just use pulseaudio, the default pavucontrol doesn't do software amping easily but the gnome-sound-preferences applet when compiled with pulseaudio allows you to amp as much as you like.

That is, if you like clipping, I detest the sound.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-22 18:06:57

barkovichjr

Hmm, I use openbox, if I install pulse, is there any limited solution you know of to install gnome-sound-preferences as a stand alone app?

#4 2010-07-22 23:54:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

gnome-media-pulse should do it. Don't know if you can use the applet though, you may just run gnome-volume-control. You'll have dependencies on pulseaudio, the gstreamer stuff, and gtk2 (via libcanberra). Not too big IMO, don't know what you'd prefer.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer