You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-24 12:23:14

fixel

Preserving the default mac boot-loader (iMac 27")

Hey y'all,

I've been runnning Arch for the past two years pretty much, and have no problem getting it installed on PCs. On Macs, however, I'm not sure how to go about it. So, before the flaming of Apple and their products begin I'd like to get a few questions answered smile

In my understanding the default Apple boot-loader, or boot-camp for that matter, doesn't support Linux-booting. Thus the need for rEFIt; and if I've understood correctly this is how you should go about installing:

1. Resize Mac-partition using diskutil create an extra HFS+-partition and a temporary FAT32 (as a placeholder)
2. Install rEFIt to the extra HFS+-partition, then edit fstab to not mount the aforementioned HFS+-partition on start-up (keeping it slick here).
3. Boot the ArchLinux live-CD, run "parted" and set up the system like you normally would (My usual: one home-partition and one root-partition (containing /boot)...using a swap-file on the home partition after install)
3. Reboot and hold down the alt-key to start rEFIt, update partition table
5. Reboot to the ArchLinux live-CD and install the system as per the instructions on the wiki.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this should enable me to boot the bare bone ArchLinux system through rEFIt which only shows up when I hold the alt-key during boot. (Ergo: keeping the iMac vanilla when not holding down the alt-key during boot.)

Now a couple of questions:

A. Keyboard and magic mouse, both use bluetooth. So I'm guessing these will be hard, if not impossible, to use during initial install?
B. Is the magic mouse supported in the new kernel or is it back to good 'ol MX-518 for me?
C. Is there any hardware reported not working on the 27" iMac?

Hardware Spec:

C2D 3,06GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD 4670 (open-source > catalyst?)
Atheros 9280 WiFi (ath9k driver I guess)

So feel free to correct me on any misconceptions I might have amassed during my research!

#2 2010-09-30 18:47:58

jbromley

Re: Preserving the default mac boot-loader (iMac 27")

Hello there. Did you ever get anywhere with installing Arch on your iMac? I've done the process successfully with my Macbook Pro, but I am having some video problems (i.e. no video, just a black screen) when I try to install on my iMac. I can answer your questions if you still need information.

#3 2010-10-01 00:51:42

bluepumpkin

The default Mac bootloader has no problem booting a Linux install. I use rEFIt just to sync the GPT and MBR partition tables and then I uninstall it. You should be able to boot Linux using the normal alt boot menu after that.
On my Macbook I also used the 'bless' command under OSX to set it to boot Arch by default.

#4 2010-10-01 06:36:32

jbromley

Right, I have installed Linux on my MacBook Pro with no problems. I was more interested in if he got his video card working and how. On my iMac the install CD boots, but I have no video, just a black screen. Apparently there is something non-standard about the video chipsets in the iMac (my iMac has the ATI 4850.)

#5 2010-10-01 14:06:33

bluepumpkin

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the new iMacs. I have installed Linux (Ubuntu) successfully on one of the first generation aluminum iMacs, but I'm sure a lot has changed...

When you say you have no video, do you mean in the console or when you try to start Xorg?

#6 2010-10-01 17:09:08

jbromley

By no video, I mean I have a completely black screen with no backlight. The CD-ROM keeps booting, I just can't see anything. I've done some research and it seems to be related to kernel mode setting not working with the ATI 4850 in the iMac. The kernel boots up with video and the init process starts running, still with video, but at some point during the init sequence (I think after dealing with udev events) the screen just goes all black. Apparently this is the point where the boot seequence tries to switch to a frame buffer. Anyway, the boot sequence continues successfully, but I just cannot see anything in the console. This is a fresh install, so there is no X yet. I've found some boot parameters that should turn off the kernel mode setting, but I'm not sure where I would input those in Arch. Time for more research.

#7 2010-10-01 18:09:21

bluepumpkin

Yes, that is definately a problem with KMS. Adding "nomodeset" to the kernel line (which you can edit in GRUB) should prevent KMS from activating.

Board footer