You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-24 16:09:05

mikeym

Getting development versions of packages

Hi there,

I'm still quite new to Arch though I've been using linux for longer than I'd care to think, and I'm enjoying it a lot. So I'm trying to compile Wine with a patch to help with some of the issues on Source games. This is slightly complicated by the fact that I'm on a 64 bit system. So I've set myself up a brand spanking new chroot to a 32 bit arch system and I've just run:

pacman -S base-devel

But I don't know how Arch stores it's development packages (i.e. the ones with headers to compile against). So I don't know how to get what I need to compile Wine.

Hopefully quite an easy question, complications aside.

#2 2010-07-24 16:11:50

egan

Re: Getting development versions of packages

Standard libraries will be included with base-devel. Obviously non-standard ones must be installed. Thanks to the Arch Build System (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS), finding out which libraries you need for build and runtime is automatic. You'll find it is surprisingly easy.

#3 2010-07-24 16:23:34

mikeym

Thanks, from what I've read as well I understand that the headers are installed as part of the base packages. I don't really need the base packages for all of these things but I suppose I'll just have to install them as well.

#4 2010-07-24 23:42:28

Allan
Pacman
Website

We generally assume that both base and base-devel are installed for packaging.  So it is best to create a chroot containing both these groups.

Board footer