You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-25 19:17:10

quayasil

Safe kernel upgrade?

I'm using quite old notebooks with a Pentium M processors. I suppose that kernel developers don't take enough care of such "obsolete" hardware so regressions occur quite often. There were numerous kernels that caused critical errors, hangups, freezes etc.
Arch is a good distro for older machines. Unfortunately, it is a cutting-edge one -- I cannot chose version of any package, including the kernel. The kernel is the most hardware-related and the most critical package. A Thunderbird from the upstream works for all users. The kernel doesn't.
If I may suggest: it would be smart if I could preserve my current kernel before any upgrade. If the new one is "faulty" I need a simple way of rolling it back. Or, maybe' the kernel is the only package that should be available in several versions: a cutting edge and some more conservative one as well?

#2 2010-07-25 19:27:59

karol
Archivist

Re: Safe kernel upgrade?

> maybe' the kernel is the only package that should be available in several versions
You have lts kernel.
You can add your kernel to the IgnorePkg, so pacman won't update it - it will cause problems sooner or later, but I think you can do it.

> if I could preserve my current kernel before any upgrade
There's a request for a versioned kernel but it's not ready yet http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16702

Last edited by karol (2010-07-25 19:31:43)

Board footer