You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-26 13:13:27

remu
Website

makepkg not creating ANY packages

I am able to use makepkg from either a manually downloaded PKGBUILD or via packer, and it works fine, except for creating the actual package. Instead what happens is that makepkg usually creates "pkg" and a "src" directories. I am then able to issue makepkg -R which creates the package just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the issue?

This has not always happened to me, I used to be able to build packages just fine. Just recently it happens with every PKGBUILD. I have also deleted /etc/makepkg.conf, done a pacman -Scc and re-installed pacman which created the /etc/makepkg.conf again, but the issue persists.

Please let me know if I need to attach more information.

Thanks.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. - Rick Cook

#2 2010-07-26 13:21:13

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: makepkg not creating ANY packages

http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.gi … ?id=v3.4.0

- makepkg:
    - repackaging without a package() function is deprecated

Last edited by wonder (2010-07-26 13:22:34)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-07-26 13:39:32

Allan
Pacman
Website

Can you post some output?

#4 2010-07-26 16:24:33

remu
Website

I tried to install pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd.

When I ran makepkg in the directory with the PKGBUILD I got:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/n00657918/tmp/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/n00657918/tmp/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14/src'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/n00657918/tmp/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/n00657918/tmp/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/n00657918/tmp/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/n00657918/tmp/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging other files...

When I ran packer -S pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd I got:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-1000/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-1000/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14/src'
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/packerbuild-1000/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/packerbuild-1000/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-1000/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/packerbuild-1000/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14'
The build failed.

When I ran ls in both my working directory (where the PKGBUILD was located) and in the packer /tmp directory, I received the following list of files:

pidgin-libnotify-0.14.tar.gz
pidgin-notify-osd.patch
pkg
PKGBUILD
src

When I ran makepkg -R in either of the directories mentioned above I got:

==> Making package: pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd 0.14-3 (Mon Jul 26 12:22:38 EDT 2010)
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> WARNING: Repackaging without the use of a package() function is deprecated.
    File permissions may not be preserved.
==> WARNING: Package contains reference to $srcdir
==> Creating package...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd 0.14-3 (Mon Jul 26 12:22:38 EDT 2010)

Which then creates the appropriate package which can then be installed using pacman -U.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. - Rick Cook

#5 2010-07-27 00:19:44

Stefan Husmann

I think

/tmp/packerbuild-1000/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd/src/pidgin-libnotify-0.14

with two times pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd in the path is wrong and unattended. Seems a packer issue.

#6 2010-07-27 00:26:32

remu
Website

Even if the path should not have it twice, this method fails for every PKGBUILD, not just this one. It fails for packages that I can do fine using the makepkg;makepkg -R;pacman -U method.

#7 2010-07-27 19:13:43

Stefan Husmann

That makes me think more and more that it is a packer issue.

#8 2010-08-02 12:25:49

remu
Website

I don't see how this would be a packer issue? Since running makepkg on its own doesn't result in a package being created anymore. It used to work fine.

Or are you saying that makepkg's behaviour has been changed recently, and that it no longer creates packages by default with simply using "makepkg" in the same directory as the PKGBUILD?

#9 2010-08-04 06:33:54

Stefan Husmann

remu wrote:

Even if the path should not have it twice, this method fails for every PKGBUILD, not just this one. It fails for packages that I can do fine using the makepkg;makepkg -R;pacman -U method.

Am I getting you wrong? I understood that normal makepkg works fine, and using packer does not.

#10 2010-08-04 06:59:53

sand_man

Stefan Husmann wrote:
remu wrote:

Am I getting you wrong? I understood that normal makepkg works fine, and using packer does not.

That's the way I interpreted the output.

neutral

#11 2010-08-04 10:34:04

jac
Website

I'm fairly certain the problem is that regular makepkg (and thus packer too) stop before creating the actual package. Then remu has to run "makepkg -R" to generate it in the first place.

Maybe the entire makepkg output would be more useful than just the last bit?

Board footer