You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-26 17:40:51

riri

Jack cannot start in realtime

Hi

I cant start jackd in realtime mode (with a bare kernel26). the output from Qjackctl is:

JACK is running in realtime mode, but you are not allowed to use realtime scheduling.
After applying these changes, please re-login in order for them to take effect.
You don't appear to have a sane system configuration. It is very likely that you
encounter xruns. Please apply all the above mentioned changes and start jack again!

I checked my /etc/security/limits.conf file and it seems ok:

@audio          -       rtprio          80
@audio          -       nice           -10
@audio          -       memlock         400000

Then I checked I were in the audio group, and that's the case since my user creation:

$ groups
adm tty disk lp wheel ftp mail uucp log http games hal network video audio optical floppy storage scanner power users riri

I've already set up jack a couple of times without any problem on other distros, and I don't see what's happening (except the software not using pam?). Could someone help me ?

Thanks,
riri

#2 2010-07-26 17:42:58

karol
Archivist

Re: Jack cannot start in realtime

> except the software not using pam?
A-ha!
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rea … bled_Login

Last edited by karol (2010-07-26 17:43:18)

#3 2010-07-26 20:34:57

riri

Ok that worked, sorry smile

thank you for the link, I added the pam_limits.so to session in /etc/pam.d/su

Kind regards,
riri

#4 2010-07-26 23:33:17

jumanji

I've been having a similar problem. Even modified my /etc/pam.d/su and changed to a console login to see if that would work. Here's my relevant config.

$ groups
lp wheel video audio optical storage camera power users pulse-rt

/etc/security/limits.conf
*               -       rtprio          0
*               -       nice            0
@audio          -       rtprio          99
@audio          -       nice           -10
@audio          -       memlock         2000000
@pulse-rt       -       rtprio          9
@pulse-rt       -       nice           -10

I can run jackd -R as root, though. What's the dillio?

#5 2010-07-27 02:11:12

jumanji

Blarg, I think I'm just going to reinstall Arch again from scratch.

#6 2010-07-27 12:12:27

jumanji

After rebuilding my installation, I got jack realtime working. But then, after installing more applications on top of the base, it stopped working. I haven't even changed kernels or anything (using kernel26-ice atm)! And then I uninstalled all audio-related apps and reinstalled jack and qjackctl and still no dice.

At this rate, I may just ditch Arch Linux and install Ubuntu Studio, which would be a shame. I only started using Arch for a few days and I really love how it works.

Last edited by jumanji (2010-07-27 12:23:47)

#7 2010-07-27 18:20:13

riri

Maybe it's due to pulseaudio, I heard it can cause problems if not correctly configured for use with jack. I cant state on that because I had not this problem through.

Kind regards,
riri

#8 2010-07-27 18:29:27

karol
Archivist

jumanji, you say you did follow http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rea … bled_Login and still nothing?

#9 2010-07-28 04:49:22

jumanji

I commented out '@pulse-rt - rtprio 9' and it started working, so it was a pulseaudio thing. Thanks guys!

#10 2010-07-28 05:53:21

sand_man

jumanji wrote:

After rebuilding my installation, I got jack realtime working. But then, after installing more applications on top of the base, it stopped working. I haven't even changed kernels or anything (using kernel26-ice atm)! And then I uninstalled all audio-related apps and reinstalled jack and qjackctl and still no dice.

At this rate, I may just ditch Arch Linux and install Ubuntu Studio, which would be a shame. I only started using Arch for a few days and I really love how it works.

I love Arch but I prefer to use Ubuntu Studio for audio production anyway. It's the kind of tool you need to work 100% of the time and Ubuntu Studio delivers.

neutral

#11 2010-07-28 06:00:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

sand_man wrote:
jumanji wrote:

I love Arch but I prefer to use Ubuntu Studio for audio production anyway. It's the kind of tool you need to work 100% of the time and Ubuntu Studio delivers.

Except where it doesn't. Ubuntu Studio is what I'd recommend for a music-only machine. I use my laptop for other things besides music, and Ubuntu Studio doesn't cut it in that regard.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#12 2010-07-28 11:42:42

karol
Archivist

ngoonee wrote:
sand_man wrote:
jumanji wrote:

Except where it doesn't. Ubuntu Studio is what I'd recommend for a music-only machine. I use my laptop for other things besides music, and Ubuntu Studio doesn't cut it in that regard.

Well, Ubuntu Studio is still an Ubuntu ... ;-)

#13 2010-07-29 06:30:54

jumanji

After futzing around with Arch for a few days, I learned quite a bit about making things work they way I want them to in Linux. However, I think I made a mistake about installing Arch64. Quite a few things were buggy or simply wouldn't work at all (Hexter, Freewheeling, Yoshimi, Flash etc.). I'm considering going the Arch32 route since "unsupported" software in the AUR should be more swift, but then there's Ubuntu Studio which just might give me less headaches and works (mostly) out of the box.

So now I'm just going to nuke my system again, install Ubuntu Studio, and if something there pisses me off, then Arch32 it is!

Board footer