You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-26 23:15:19

Meskarune
Website

[Solved] Cannot Connect HDTV

I have a sanyo DP32649 HDTV and my graphics card is an nvidia 9500 GT

My video card has an S-video out and two DVI outs
My TV has S-video in, composite in, vga in, and 2 HDMI ports

The product manual for the TV specifically says that a DVI to VGA converter can be used to connect the TV to my desktop computer. So I got one and hooked it up. I booted into windows 7 to test out the setup and see if it works. Windows 7 saw my TV, but said it was not HDCP compliant.

I plugged my netbook into the TV with a vga cable and it worked perfectly under arch and windows 7.

The DVI cable from my computer to my computer monitor also works perfectly.

But when I plug the dvi to vga cable from my desktop to the vga port in my computer monitor it also does not work.

Does this mean my DVI/VGA converter is bad? Or is there something I can do to make it work. I don't have the money to get a new graphics card right now.... I suppose I could trade the one I have in....

Last edited by Meskarune (2010-08-08 23:42:25)

Homepage  | Arch Linux Women | Arch Linux Classroom
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG:
Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

#2 2010-07-26 23:47:12

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Cannot Connect HDTV

Your website doesn't have Archlinux under "Me Elsewhere"  ?  :-(

Do I understand that Windows 7 saw the TV through the DVI to VGA computer? The HDCP warning notwithstanding, did it work for unprotected content?

Does it pretend to work? or does the system not even allow you to select the DVI output?
How are you setting the timing and format of the video signal? xrandr?
Are you trying to set up a single monitor, dual monitors with the same content, or dual monitors with independent outputs?
If you have a choice of formats, pick one with a 60 Hz refresh and 1080 lines.  That should ensure you are within the capabilities of the TV.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-07-29 01:31:28

Meskarune
Website

Ideally I would like to use the TV as the sole monitor for my computer. I was using lxrandr in arch to connect the TV, which worked perfectly using my netbook and a vga cable.

My desktop is connected with the dvi to vga converter thingy.
In windows 7 I could not get the TV to show anything on the screen, (it said "no signal") but it was listed under connected monitors with the correct resolution and refresh rate...

I read a few other support forums, and it sounds like it might have something to do with the nvidia card. I'll try updating or downgrading the driver I have now and see if that helps. But again plugging the cord into my Acer monitor also didn't work...

I'm also working on a new website, and I"ll definitely be sticking an arch linux banner on it somewhere. smile

Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

#4 2010-07-29 06:08:04

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I'm confused... If this is a Windows issue, I suggest you request support elsewhere. Either way, you need to clarify, because now it's very fuzzy.

The DVI connector on your graphics card might support HDCP. If Windows is conservative about it, the only thing you can do is a) complain to Microsoft or b) get a card with a HDMI output or c) get hold of a DVI to HDMI converter and see if Windows is happy with that.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2010-07-29 15:38:46

ewaller
Administrator

.:B:.:
(That is a lot of punctuation :-) )
I presume the real issue here is that she cannot get it to work on Arch.  I took her down the Windows rabbit hole just to get a better feel as to whether this is hardware, software, or DRM nonsense. 

Unfortunately, since it won't even work on the Windows side for non-protected content, I don't know how to proceed.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited by ewaller (2010-07-29 15:39:28)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2010-07-30 10:24:30

Gusar

Get a DVI/HDMI cable, you know, one that has DVI on one end and HDMI on the other.

Though the question is... does HDCP compliance matter? It definitely doesn't in Linux. And even in Windows I'm not sure... do Blu-ray player refuse playback because of lack of HDCP? Well, welcome to the wonderful world of DRM.

#7 2010-07-31 21:59:30

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The hardware doesn't really care about the OS. All elements in the transmission chain have to support HDCP; if there's a missing link, then you're screwed. That is, of course, if you want to play back stuff that needs HDCP, like Blu-Ray. Otherwise it should be irrelevant.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#8 2010-08-02 10:13:48

Meskarune
Website

Yeah, so I ordered a DVI to HDMI cable and it should get here tomorrow. I think the problem was that my DVI out in my graphics card is digital only, and since it doesn't also send out an analog singal the vga converter wouldn't work. (I have DVI-D and not DVI-I)

I only mentioned windows because I was trying to figure out if this was a hardware problem or software problem. tongue  First time I've logged into it in 6 months. Had to do a TON of updates. ><

I updated the nvidia drivers and that did not help.

I'm sure I can get the monitor to work after I have the right cable. I didn't have any trouble with my netbook running arch to connect with the TV.

If there are any configuration options or weird things I should look out for when making my TV my sole desktop monitor please let me know. big_smile The only thing I've heard of so far is that monitor suspension doesn't work with the nvidia drivers when using an HDTV.

Also: yeah DHCP is an abomination....

#9 2010-08-08 23:41:56

Meskarune
Website

Ok, the dvi/HDMI cable came in and now my TV is working as my monitor. Thanks for all your help. I now have a problem with getting the resolution right....but I'm putting that in another thread. smile

Board footer