You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-27 05:17:47

Beelzebud

[SOLVED] Is it safe to remove gnome-power-manager?

I'm on a desktop that I shut down each night before bed.   I do not require any of the features gnome-power-manager, and so I really don't want it, because it does do unwanted things from time to time (like an icon in systray that never disables correctly).

My only concern is breaking other things if I remove it.   

I've tried removing it from the gnome startup sessions, but it comes back on each reboot.   

I did an -Si command and I don't see anything it would obviously break, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.   Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by Beelzebud (2010-07-27 07:09:41)

#2 2010-07-27 06:13:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Is it safe to remove gnome-power-manager?

Try it, if it breaks something you can always reinstall it smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-27 07:08:44

Beelzebud

Good point!   I went ahead and just removed it.  It didn't ask me to remove anything else with it, and the machine seems stable, so I think it's safe to do.   This is the type of control that I love about Arch.   I'll report back if anything seems broken in time, but I think this will be fine.

#4 2010-07-27 08:47:49

Beelzebud

Ok, after removing gnome-power-manager I did have one problem come up, but I did find a solution.  Posting it now to help any others in this situation.   It seems like after gnome wasn't doing power management, the X server took over.  After 15 mins the monitor would power down.  I tried commenting out the "DPMS" setting in xorg.conf, but that didn't seem to do anything.   Here is what I did to keep X from powering down my monitor.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf I added the following lines to the end of the Section "ServerLayout" section.

Option       "BlankTime" "0"
    Option       "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option       "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option       "OffTime" "0"

The end result looks like this (just to avoid confusing anyone):

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    Option         "BlankTime" "0"
    Option         "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option         "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option         "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

This seems to be working, as the monitor has not powered off since I added those commands.

Last edited by Beelzebud (2010-07-27 08:49:06)

#5 2010-07-27 14:47:06

moljac024

It's not safe, I hope you didn't remove it already. Because if you did, a velociraptor is on it's way to your home right now.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer