You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-28 18:12:37

oldstutz

[SOLVED] iwconfig wlan0 channel auto

I was trying to setup the network on a fresh install of Arch and I was following the wireless setup wiki page. After dhcpcd wlan0 I got a "timed out" error. So I tried the suggestion on the wiki page with the iwconfig wlan0 channel auto command. I got the following... "Error for wireless request  "Set Frequency" (8BO4) : SET failed on device wlan0; Invalid argument.

I'm really having problems getting this set up. when I try to change my essid to the one i need, and i check to see if its changed, it still says "ESSID: ""

Other than that everything has been smooth.
Thanks!

Last edited by oldstutz (2010-07-28 21:54:36)

#2 2010-07-28 18:22:57

Proofrific

Re: [SOLVED] iwconfig wlan0 channel auto

Arch has a nice command-line utility called netcfg for setting up wireless internet, and it supports multiple profiles.  Read about it at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg.  I'd recommend using that instead.

But, if you want to set the essid manually, the command would be `iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID`.  You probably need to be root (so use sudo or something).  Also make sure your interface is up before using dhcpcd (`ifconfig wlan0 up`).

#3 2010-07-28 19:01:08

oldstutz

Sounds great I'll give the netcfg thing a go! Thanks for pointing this out! I'll post when I test it.

#4 2010-07-28 20:17:53

oldstutz

I feel like I'm missing something here... I have netcfg, I type netcfg -l to have it list available profiles, and none appear. I have no clue how to create a profile, I've tried everything I can think of. I followed the instructions adding my network to the NETWORKS in rc.conf and adding the net-profiles and net-auto-wireless to the DAEMONs. The manual configuration didn't work either when i did sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "my network essid", nothing happened, i type iwconfig and the info appears, but it says ESSID="" and says connection not associated. I have the firmware, drivers, and everything for my network card, the computer senses the wireless connection, it just wont associate. Any further instruction would be great!
Thanks

EDIT: OK, figured out the profile thing, it said "mynetwork up" busy, then it had the error dhcp ip lease attempt failed. So now any help for that would be great.

Last edited by oldstutz (2010-07-28 21:44:32)

Board footer