You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-28 20:03:42

mgushee
Website

Anybody using Epson 4490 scanner w/ Arch?

Hi, folks--

I need a good but reasonably priced photo scanner that works with Linux. I am finding that the choices are quite limited, but the Epson 4490 looks like a possibility. However, it requires the 3rd-party iscan driver to work with any Linux distro; the company that develops that driver tests a number of Linux distros, but Arch is not on their list. So, I'm wondering, does anybody use this scanner with Arch? Any voodoo required to make it work?

BTW, let's please not talk about Wine or any other Windows-based solution. I do need to scan, and will do what I have to to make it work, but any non-pure-Linux approach is a last resort. I would be open to suggestions of other scanners, though.

TIA for your thoughts.

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#2 2010-08-02 14:42:14

lagagnon
Website

Re: Anybody using Epson 4490 scanner w/ Arch?

Read this thread, especially the post by rbmorse:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-124331.html

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-08-02 15:17:13

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Anybody using Epson 4490 scanner w/ Arch?

If you want to check compatibility before buying it you can always check the SANE project's documentation.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer