You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-31 20:23:44

DWilliams

Can't eject DVD - "device is busy"

I'm attempting to install the Orange Box in Wine. It finished with disc 1 and is asking for disc 2. The button on the drive won't eject it so I went to dolphin to eject it but it cannot be unmounted. I tried "eject /dev/cdrom" from the command line and it gives the following error:

/sbin/umount.hal: Unmounting /media/Orange Box failed: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Busy: umount: /media/Orange Box: device is busy.

How can I force it to unmount and eject?

#2 2010-07-31 20:37:53

karol
Archivist

Re: Can't eject DVD - "device is busy"

You may need to u(n)mount it

umount /path/to/mountpoint

'lsof' can check if there's any process using it.

Last edited by karol (2010-07-31 20:39:31)

#3 2010-07-31 20:47:01

DWilliams

karol wrote:

You may need to u(n)mount it

umount /path/to/mountpoint

'lsof' can check if there's any process using it.

umount gives the same error as eject did (actually I'm pretty sure eject calls umount too). lsof says that the orange box installer in Wine is using the drive, which isn't surprising since it's sitting there asking for disc 2.

I there any way I can tell the system "I don't care what's using it, eject the drive"?

#4 2010-07-31 20:49:19

karol
Archivist

> I there any way I can tell the system "I don't care what's using it, eject the drive"?
Rebooting for sure.
You can try unmounting as root.
Maybe you need to kill the process that's using the drive.

#5 2010-07-31 20:50:16

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

This is one of the things I hate about Linux, and really UNIX in general. When I tell it to eject, I don't mean "Wait until you feel that it's a good time to eject", I mean eject it now!

#6 2010-07-31 20:53:01

DWilliams

karol wrote:

> I there any way I can tell the system "I don't care what's using it, eject the drive"?
Rebooting for sure.

Yeah but I don't want to terminate the installer since I'll probably just have to start it all over again and hit the same problem.

EDIT: And root still can't umount it

Last edited by DWilliams (2010-07-31 20:55:59)

#7 2010-07-31 20:54:25

karol
Archivist

itsbrad212 wrote:

This is one of the things I hate about Linux, and really UNIX in general. When I tell it to eject, I don't mean "Wait until you feel that it's a good time to eject", I mean eject it now!

I still remember getting hit by a flying disk that was still spinning when the drive ejected it. "Look - a Quake 3 frisbee!" :-)
It was on Windows a long time ago.

#8 2010-07-31 20:56:44

karol
Archivist

DWilliams wrote:
karol wrote:

Rebooting for sure.

Yeah but I don't want to terminate the installer since I'll probably just have to start it all over again and hit the same problem.

Maybe you can copy the contents to your hard drive and 'mount -o loop file.iso /mnt/image'.

#9 2010-07-31 21:02:35

DWilliams

karol wrote:
DWilliams wrote:
karol wrote:

Rebooting for sure.

Maybe you can copy the contents to your hard drive and 'mount -o loop file.iso /mnt/image'.

Actually I just read the Wine appDB entry for this and they had a solution. I mapped my cd drive to D: in Wine and then called "wine eject D:" and it released it. I'm still disappointed that even root can't eject a drive in use. I thought the whole philosophy of using root was "do what I type regardless of the consequences". I mean, I can make a typo and erase the contents of my hard drive but not unmount a DVD?

#10 2010-07-31 21:07:16

karol
Archivist

DWilliams wrote:
karol wrote:
DWilliams wrote:

Actually I just read the Wine appDB entry for this and they had a solution. I mapped my cd drive to D: in Wine and then called "wine eject D:" and it released it. I'm still disappointed that even root can't eject a drive in use. I thought the whole philosophy of using root was "do what I type regardless of the consequences". I mean, I can make a typo and erase the contents of my hard drive but not unmount a DVD?

I think that even the root can't lift himself by the bootstraps but he can leap out of a tall building - if he wants to.
Root can kill any process and then eject that damn disk but some things are (what I call) logically impossible.

#11 2010-08-01 03:16:11

urist

I've been told (and always practice) not to run things from the drive directory itself. Doing "wine /media/dvd/setup.exe" from outside of the disk's directory doesn't lock the drive, but "cd /media/dvd; wine setup.exe" does. Doing this, I've never had a reason to mess with wine eject or anything.

Last edited by urist (2010-08-01 03:49:43)

#12 2010-08-01 03:19:46

karol
Archivist

urist wrote:

I've been told (and always practice) not to run things from the drive itself. Doing "wine /media/dvd/setup.exe" from outside of the disk's directory doesn't lock the drive, but "cd /media/dvd; wine setup.exe" does. Doing this, I've never had a reason to mess with wine eject or anything.

Actually it may be true, I've never even considered sth like "cd /media/dvd; wine setup.exe" and I've had no problems.

#13 2010-08-04 15:56:43

ewaller
Administrator

If worse comes to worse, there is a little pinhole either in or under the DVD drive door.  Unfold a paper clip and insert the end into that hole.  When it bottoms out, push the clip in further (gently).  The door will open, whether the OS likes it or not.  No guarantees as to how the OS responds to this.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer