You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-01 03:34:01

error

xbacklight returns 'No outputs have backlight property' on Sony laptop

Laptop: Sony VAIO VGN-NW130D
Graphics: Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
WM: xmonad

I am trying to get the two brightness adjustment keys on my laptop to work, which they currently they do not. To this end I want to map a xbacklight command to each of these keys.

Problem: running xbacklight alone or with any arguments and options returns: No outputs have backlight property

I read here that "it is a driver issue. The vesa and fglrx drivers simply do not support backlight setting. You may get better results from the radeon driver." (The OP is not me.)
But I am using the Radeon driver (xf86-video-ati), so maybe this is not accurate. However I was using the fglrx driver before this, and the xf86-video-radeonhd driver before that. Is it possible that, even though I have now removed them, some trace of them remains, so that xbacklight mistakenly detects a driver with which it does not work? I closely followed ArchWiki's simple instructions when removing each driver before installing a new one.

Additional info: I am currently using laptop-mode-tools to automatically set brightness upon startup. This is fine if I want a static (or at least not quickly adjustable) brightness, but I do not think there is any clean way to make it work with the Fn keys. laptop-mode-tools writes to /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness but I also have /sys/class/backlight/acpo_video0/brightness which would presumably work as well.

Thank you for any help I have been eating neighborhood children in frustration.

Last edited by error (2010-08-01 03:50:56)

#2 2010-08-01 04:39:53

kgas

Re: xbacklight returns 'No outputs have backlight property' on Sony laptop

try with setpci command ( for eg  setpci -s $DEVICE F4.B=<your brightness level> device is your device bus id)

Board footer