You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-01 23:52:00

jlr1701
Website

Unable to mount USB hard drive

Hey everybody,

I am brand new to Arch Linux. Just installed it today. I'm also not really a very experienced Linux user, but that's a big reason I chose to install Arch. I have used Linux Mint for a while and love it, but want to move beyond the basics and really learn Linux. Anyway, I chose to go with the Xfce DE to start out with, but will probably install Gnome as well. But, at the moment my problem is that my USB hard drive will not mount. I get the following error message:

Unable to mount "SimpleDrive":

Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.8" (uid=1000 pid=3837 comm="exo-mount) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3640 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))

That all means basically nothing to me, but I'm guessing maybe it's some sort of permissions issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeff

#2 2010-08-02 00:18:23

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Unable to mount USB hard drive

Perhaps you can troubleshoot with ...lsusb.. in a terminal.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2010-08-02 00:23:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

Also ...blkid.. could be useful.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-08-02 00:36:41

eschew

First, welcome to Arch, enjoy your stay. Second, I think you'll find your time at the Arch forums will be a tad more pleasant if you do some research (search the forums and the wiki) before posting error messages.

Googling "Rejected send message" and "Rejected send message HAL" return several results from this very forum where users encountered this issue and the steps they took to solve it. Take a look at this entry in the wiki which addresses your issue.

#5 2010-08-02 04:22:50

jlr1701
Website

I really appreciate the help, and the fix was thankfully simple after reading the Wiki page.

I did do a search, but not for the specific error message I got. I just searched for "usb hard drive" on the forums. Oops... I'll know better next time... smile

I've spent the day getting Arch installed and configured, just coming up for air a few times to eat and get a little exercise. The only major issue I still have (I think) is Flash on my 64-bit install. Will tackle that one tomorrow...

Anyway, thanks!

Jeff

Board footer