You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-02 13:43:18

kmeher

Empty first installer screen for Starcraft 2 with wine

Hi there
I'm trying to install Starcraft 2 (release) on my linux system.
I'm seeing on google that almost all the people got it up and working.
Although I'm having a problem.
I'm using this tutorial to get it to work :
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/0 … -wine.html

The problem is that the first install screen comes empty (no buttons) as you can see in this screenshot.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1779/captureuvt.png
The borders are already reported as a bug in the winhq bugzilla.
I tried to search for it in google with no luck.
If anyone could give me hint, it would be greately appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-08-02 13:54:07

SpeedVin

Re: Empty first installer screen for Starcraft 2 with wine

Have you tried installing the game using WINEPREFIX?

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#3 2010-08-03 09:55:52

kmeher

Yes I use a WINEPREFIX to install it (and install all the winetricks)

#4 2010-08-10 05:37:28

acrooks

I am having exactly the same problem. My system is Mandriva powerpack 2010.0 which is essentially linux. I have the latest wine 1.2 with the latest wine gecko. I also followed the guide which is apparently missing something. It is most likely intended to get you frustrated with doing it yourself so you decide to buy the crossover stuff.

I have sound and the buttons make a sound when you scroll over them. The problem messes with the game too. I installed it like this to begin with and there were lots of glitches in the video. Most pronounced was in the armory you cannot see any of the special units you have. Maybe some of this will jog someones memory.

#5 2010-08-10 06:43:08

cookiecaper

Please follow the instructions detailed on Wine's AppDB page for Starcraft 2. Wine's AppDB is the official resource for tracking application compatibility. Popular games that work in Wine will be updated with new instructions as necessary, so please try following any procedures or things described there.

#6 2010-08-10 19:18:47

acrooks

I looked at the winehq appdb and I didn't come up with anything I didn't already know.

However, I think I have determined the cause of the problem.

I had to add an rpm pack for the ati catalyst control center from a repository since the driver installer does not install an interface. After checking out the catalyst control center I noticed that 3d acceleration was not enabled even though I had 3d desktop.

I have not finalized checking this out yet because I just upgarded to Mandriva 2010.1 from 2010.0. The most awesome side effect so far is that after reinstalling firefox (the version that comes with the upgrade doesn't work) from a mud repo version off rpm.pbone.net, suddenly flash sound works! once I get the ati driver back up and running I'll post whether or not I have solved the problem with starcraft.

Last edited by acrooks (2010-08-10 19:24:04)

#7 2010-08-12 01:49:57

acrooks

Enabling 3D explicitly did not work.

This bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22306
refers to a solution where you edit directx.c

I have no clue where directx.c is located or how to find it since everytime I enable strigi file indexer it indexes the files then disables itself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated since the bug thread is already closed.

#8 2010-08-12 02:49:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm confused, why are you asking questions here when you're using Mandriva? "Its basically linux" doesn't work that way in practice, every distro handles things differently (and introduces different bugs).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2010-08-12 04:45:01

acrooks

Mandriva is just regular Linux with some preinstalled goodies. How is it that you are the forum moderator? We are having the exact same problem which probably has a similar cause that may or may not be directly related to the OS. It probably has something to do with wine or ati video cards. I forgot to mention before that I have ati radeon hd 4850

I went and made a whole account just to post here about this problem since this is the only place I've seen a similar (exactly) complaint.

I am getting the same install screen without buttons, although I have sound when my cursor scrolls over where the button should be. I also have all character images coming out as gray and green static. I cannot play a game because it crashes when I try. I also noticed that in the armory/lab/bridge/cantina you cannot see anything that is a 3d animation.

If anyone has a clue where to find where winetricks installs directx.c I could try the fix used on winehq appdb that I mentioned in the previous post.

#10 2010-08-12 10:02:07

scorpyn

acrooks wrote:

Enabling 3D explicitly did not work.

This bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22306
refers to a solution where you edit directx.c

I have no clue where directx.c is located or how to find it since everytime I enable strigi file indexer it indexes the files then disables itself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated since the bug thread is already closed.

Try this (as root):

# updatedb && locate directx

Is direct rendering active? It should look something like this :

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes
    GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_EXT_direct_state_access, 
kmeher wrote:

The problem is that the first install screen comes empty (no buttons) as you can see in this screenshot.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1779/captureuvt.png

What is your console output? Is libjpeg installed? Did you use unhide when mounting the dvd? Try copying all files on the dvd to a folder in your home directory to make sure that you can read all of them.
Read this : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sta … g_from_DVD

If you're unable to make it work, you may want to try installing with Blizzard Downloader instead.

#11 2010-08-13 02:49:38

acrooks

I have enabled the crossfire 3d stuff for my ati cards. Still the same installer without buttons. My kernel is kernel-desktop-2.6.31.13-1mnb if that helps. I thought it might be a kernel problem since apparently starcraft just won't run on kernels 2.6.33.xx through 2.6.35.xx

scorpyn, I tried your advice and here are the results

[root@localhost ghost]# updatedb && locate directx
/home/ghost/.winetrickscache/directx_feb2010_redist.exe
/usr/share/man/man7/display-directx.7.lzma

[ghost@localhost ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes
    GL_EXT_copy_buffer, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_direct_state_access,

libjpeg is installed

I already have the install disk files in a directory and I am certain they include all the hidden files on the disk.

I am currently trying to install using the Blizzard downloader but it's probably going to be another 6-7 hours before all the files are downloaded.

If you have any way of locating directx.c I could try and implement the solution I listed before from winehq appdb.

#12 2010-08-13 03:09:23

Skripka

acrooks wrote:

Mandriva is just regular Linux with some preinstalled goodies. How is it that you are the forum moderator?

You cannot be serious????

OP wrote:

We are having the exact same problem which probably has a similar cause that may or may not be directly related to the OS. It probably has something to do with wine or ati video cards. I forgot to mention before that I have ati radeon hd 4850

If it is probably Wine or ATi (I agree with you BTW), WTH are you here asking about this on the Arch forums???  You're not using the same kernel as Archers are.  Or the same Xorg as Archers are.  Or the same video drivers.  Or any of the same libraries, say libjpeg for example..or even the same Wine as we are on Arch.  So why are you here?

Did you cross-post on the Gentoo and UbuntuForums websites also?

Last edited by Skripka (2010-08-13 03:14:18)

#13 2010-08-13 04:04:35

acrooks

I removed my .wine and winetricks entirely and reconfigured wine fresh and tried to install from the files copied from the disk. Again I get no buttons on the installer. The tell-tale signs from the blank installer menu remain the constant factor.

Deductive reasoning would figure that something is missing. I'll post results for the downloaded install files once they are done cookin

Skripka -

Mandriva is Linux. There is no denying that. While it is not exactly the same as arch linux it has numerous parallels. For instance... we both have to use wine to run windows programs. There are distro specific deviations but a lot of the underlying framework is there and the same.

The point is that despite all the differences in everything... we have the exact same problem. If we had exactly the same systems the possible problems would be much more numerous and harder to sort through. I am suspecting this may have to do with the actual installer files we are using. I'm sure it is something right in front of our noses.

I am not the person who posted this thread, I am just one person responding to it with the same problem.

Why are you posting here? Does the legitimacy of my post weigh heavily on your conscience or was it that you simply had no productive commentary to add?

#14 2010-08-14 14:01:15

scorpyn

directx.c is probably part of the wine source code. I suppose you'll have to download it yourself, modify the file and then compile from scratch.

http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.3.0

#15 2010-12-16 18:07:55

iamsmrt

I had the same problem and I installed it blindly, the problem still occurred in the main game BUT there are pretty easy workarounds.

1) You can set OffScreenRenderingMode=backbuffer in the registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D. This however, results in this bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24003 where the map gets real messed up during gameplay.

2) You can leave OFRM alone (I think it defaults to fbo) and try switching to a virtual terminal and then back to your X server. This is what I do on my current install when menus get borked (every time I start up, open up options or start loading a game). It's just a quick ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f4 (probably f7 for you) and everything plays nearly perfectly. The only issue I have is on some terrain, especially near ramps, unit models disappear below the map but I can still see their health bars.

Last edited by iamsmrt (2010-12-16 18:14:15)

#16 2010-12-22 04:11:58

Fuzzo

It's possible to install sc2 blindly. You need to click near the top of the left column on the first screen, then on the bottom right of the second screen, underneath the progress bar. The rest of the install should be navigable.

However, I'm having some problems with my new sc2 install. It crashes before it shows the main menu, giving a memory-access-violation bug. I think this might be a kernel problem, since I've tried many other options (even rebooting D: ) and it had worked on Ubuntu and a previous Arch install on the same machine. Does anyone have experience downgrading a kernel?

Edit: Instead of downgrading the kernel, I installed kernel26-lts and kernel26-lts-headers, rebooted, built and modprob'd fglrx, started x, and launched sc2 to the same effect. :-( So if it's a kernel issue, at least it's persistent. I'm gunna file a bug report with Wine tomorrow.

Last edited by Fuzzo (2010-12-22 04:47:31)

.....####...................####........####
....#*#*##...............##*#*#.....#*#*##
.....#~##...................##~#.......#~##
I'm not as fuzzy as these creatures but I'm close

Board footer