You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-22 18:17:40

sudman1

PCI Wireless Device not found

I have installed a (known good) PCI wireless card - broadcom chipset -  for use with Ndiswrapper.  I know how to set up ndiswrapper and have done so with this card before.

The problem is that the PCI card is not found with either lspci or hwd.

Anyone have any ideas?

v/r
Suds

#2 2005-02-22 20:18:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: PCI Wireless Device not found

hmmm, this is a rough one:

are there any "unknown" or "unidentified" devices listed by lspci or even "cat /proc/pci"... if so do a "lspci -n"... everthing should begin with "XXXX:YYYY"... these numbers are the manufacturer's id (the XXXX if I recall) and card ID... it's possible, that your card just isn't in the pci database used tog et names... if there are unidentified devices, post the output you got in this forum.... I'll take a look at it... I should be able to track down broadcom's id pretty quickly

if there are no unknown/unidentified cards, it's possible the card is seated wrong... or the slot is bad... try moving it to different PCI slots if you can....

the last check would be through ndiswrapper - if you get ndiswrapper setup and install the proper *.inf file, it should say something along the lines of "no hardware detected"... though I can't seem to remember if that's when the inf is installed or when you try to modprobe ndiswrapper

#3 2005-02-23 16:23:45

sudman1

Okay, I've checked /proc/pci and lspci and there are no unknown devices.

I have already reseated the card an moved it into the slot that had my (discovered) soundcard.

I still have to check the ndiswrapper install, as I have just reinstalled my system.

It should be noted that the card is recognized in another system running Mandrake 10.0.  (Please do not flame me for using other more inferior distros. I like to get a well-rounded linux education)

PS: Thanks for the expedient reply phrakture

v/r
Suds

#4 2005-02-25 04:27:43

skoal
Website

Check "dmesg" to see if the kernel actually reported anything.  Chances are the kernel can't find it since it doesn't have a driver module to probe it.

What's the name of the kernel module being used in Mandrake?  Is it possible the Mandrake distro is including some other driver packages for your specific wireless NIC?  If so, find out what driver it's using and grab it from the web and make a package using ABS.

#5 2005-02-25 04:34:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

skoal wrote:

Is it possible the Mandrake distro is including some other driver packages for your specific wireless NIC?

doubt it, IIRC broadcom publicly refused to offer linux support for any of its crap...

yeah, under mandrake, can you try "ndiswrapper -l" to list installed inf files?

#6 2005-02-27 17:31:46

sudman1

Running through the forums, I saw that the following error that I get on startup had to do with PCI Hotplugging:

Can't load module shpchp. Missing kernel or user mode driver shpchp.

Is it possible that this is part of my problem? If so, I haven't found anyone in the forums who cares about it.

v/r
Suds

Board footer