You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-03 18:51:44

phunni

Kensington Expert Mouse (Trackball) Button Configuration

I'm trying to set up my trackball mouse. Most of the buttons etc. work out of the box, but I need to make a couple of tweaks. 

I've spent ages trawling the net and the arch wiki  and I simply can't get my head around this. Especially with the new xorg changes and most of the docs now being out of date.

The mouse has 4 buttons + a scroll wheel.  I've managed to map them using xev:

Bottom Left Button: 1
Top Left Button: 2
Bottom Right Button: 3
Top Right Button: 8

Scroll up: 4
Scroll down: 5

At the moment 1 is a left click and 3 is a right click.  Button 8 seems to be "back" and button 2 seems to be middle click. The scroll wheel works as expected.

What I want is for button 2 to be a double left click and button 8 to be a right click.  Can anyone help me figure this out?

#2 2010-08-03 20:44:43

MoonSwan

Re: Kensington Expert Mouse (Trackball) Button Configuration

Off topic but my girlfriend is looking for a decent trackball, so would you kindly post a link to yours from the Kensington site?  Much thanks and sorry I can't really help with your configuration issue.

#3 2010-08-04 18:12:37

phunni

This is a later version of the one I have: http://eu.kensington.com/kensington/en/ … kball.aspx

No-one have any ideas on this one?

#4 2010-08-05 13:53:32

phunni

Does anyone even know if it's possible to map a double click to one mouse button?

#5 2010-08-05 14:06:28

cl10k

I'm also interested in the button mapping!

Just a side note: I found the expert to be very uncomfortable - it's simply to high - your wrist is always bent...
I finally decided for the new Kensington slimblade and it's still a bit too high  but better.
Just as a tip, I ordered both from amazon and tried them for a couple of days and sent the one I didn't like back...

#6 2010-08-05 14:18:24

phunni

I use the included wrist rest and find it very comfortable.

#7 2010-08-08 14:51:35

phunni

Bump

#8 2010-08-09 11:23:38

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

put the line
pointer = 1 8 2 4 5 6 7 3
in ~/.Xmodmap

you might need to run 'xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap' at login if your desktop environment doesn't do it automatically. see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get … p_tweaking

This will set button 8 to right-click, button 3 to middle-click and button 2 to button 8, which you might want to change.

Then you might be able to use xbindkeys combined with something like xdotool to map button 8 to double-click, although I'm not sure exactly how to do it (probably you'd have to run two "xdotool click 1" commands in close succession)

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#9 2011-03-04 12:56:59

phunni

I've figured out how to do the double click thing :-) Here it is for anyone else interested:

1) Run xev and move your mouse pointer into the white square.  Now click the button you wish to map to a double click.
2) Make a mental note of which button number xev reveals that mouse button to be - in my case, the top left button is button 8
3) install xbindkeys and xautomation - the latter can be found in AUR
4) run:

xbindkeys --defaults > /home/your-user-name/.xbindkeysrc

replacing "your-user-name" with (obviously) your user name
5) add the following at the bottom, replacing Y withthe number you made a note of in step 2

"/usr/bin/xte 'mouseclick 1' 'mouseclick 1' &"
b:Y + Release

and save
6) run

xbindkeys -n -v

to check if there are any errors in your config file
7) If that has all worked then you need to configure xbindkeys to run at X startup - the method will vary depending on you DE/WM - I use fluxbox and so simply added

xbindkeys &

to my ~/.fluxbox/startup file

Hope that helps!

Board footer