You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-04 13:49:51

AndreasBWagner
Website

Arch won't boot after -Syu: /etc/rc.sysinit can't execute things

Hello,

I was not getting any updates for about a week or two so I checked my mirrors and added a few more. I ran yaourt -Syu, there were 30 updates.
I shutdown my computer and when booting I got several messages saying "cannot execute binary file" from /etc/rc.sysinit.

Here is the first of such messages:

/etc/rc.sysinit: line 45: /bin/dmesg: cannot execute binary file
rtc_cmos 00:04: rtc core: registered rtc_cmos as rtc0
rtc0: alarms up to one month, y3k, 114 bytes nvram
/etc/rc.sysinit: line 84: /sbin/hwclock: cannot execute binary file

Arch Linux Fallback has the same problems. I also tried to get to my files with the Arch livecd but I could not mount them:

mount: can't find /dev/sda3 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have some things on there that I don't want to lose.

Thanks,

Andreas

#2 2010-08-04 13:54:48

flamelab

Re: Arch won't boot after -Syu: /etc/rc.sysinit can't execute things

Try to chroot (google it or check the arch wiki) into your system from another linux (live cd for example) system, and reinstall the base group (pacman -S base).

If there is any error, please post it here.

#3 2010-08-05 11:08:02

AndreasBWagner
Website

From a knoppix disk I mounted sda3 and other partitions to their respective mount points and used chroot.

I ran pacman -S base but many of packages did not install correctly according to the messages.

The reboot with the hard drive fails and I am dropped to a recovery shell.

I can't chroot in again after this because of "Exec format error" however both the Knoppix disk and the Arch install are both i686. Maybe x86_64 base was being installed by pacman.

#4 2010-08-06 11:17:32

AndreasBWagner
Website

I have retrieved the files I need and will start with a fresh install (which would be a good idea even if it was bootable).

I screwed up the install by adding mirrors without remembering to check the architecture (which was x86_64 and should have been i686). I made it impossible to chroot in again from the i686 livecd by installing x86_64 base on the i686 computer.

If anyone is reading this don't make my past mistake and add mirrors for the right architecture.

Board footer