You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-04 19:03:30

aeurielesn

[SOLVED] udev rules and pcmanfm

Hi all,

I place a udev rule to automount sd cards and it's working properly but they aren't shown in pcmanfm afterwards.

Any ideas how to achieve this? Thanks.

Best regards,

Alexander.

Last edited by aeurielesn (2010-08-05 15:33:41)

#2 2010-08-04 19:18:42

Gusar

Re: [SOLVED] udev rules and pcmanfm

The only way to achieve this is to let pcmanfm handle the devices. pcmanfm 0.5.2 uses HAL for that, pcmanfm-git uses udisks. No idea what the pcmanfm that's currently in Arch uses (gvfs/gnome-disk-utility I think), I'm sticking with 0.5.2 until at least 1.0 is released.

#3 2010-08-04 19:52:53

shemz

yes the one in [extra] depends on gvfs for automounting, which in turn depends on hal. i am using the git version with libfm-udisks and it mounts just about any storage device the kernel sees. no need to set udev rules manually.

#4 2010-08-04 22:41:12

Quarterly_Reports

Maybe you know what I can do to fix my install. I had to re install because I tried to update vlc and it broke (I would hear sound but no gui, could only stop it by killing process), I used audacity for a player for a while but then I needed video so I tried updating vlc again, then I tried to update system, and all that did was break everything, a desktop appeared but with no wallpaper, pcmanfm had to be launched by F2 command and the associated program launching stopped working.

I re installed today and pcmanfm won't find any of my media except the fstab lines. I searched the wiki and tried the policy kit thing and that doesn't work, then I found some page with a dozen little scripts and tried one.  It found one of my USB chips but the other hard drives in the machine aren't showing up (They weren't in fstab in the old installation, they just appeared like USB chips did) so what do I need to make it find all the drives?

#5 2010-08-05 08:26:23

Gusar

Install pcmanfm-git from AUR, that would be my advice. Either that, or install pcmanfm-0.5.2 from here: http://arm.konnichi.com/search/index.ph … fm&extra=1 and make sure HAL is running.

An important question though: How do you start lxde? It needs to be started as a consolekit session.

#6 2010-08-05 09:41:31

kaptenen
Website

Gusar wrote:

Install pcmanfm-git from AUR, that would be my advice. Either that, or install pcmanfm-0.5.2 from here: http://arm.konnichi.com/search/index.ph … fm&extra=1 and make sure HAL is running.

An important question though: How do you start lxde? It needs to be started as a consolekit session.

Instead of pcmanfm-0.5.2 maybe pcmanfm-mod can be something to recommend. smile
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34819

#7 2010-08-05 15:33:02

aeurielesn

Quarterly_Reports wrote:

so what do I need to make it find all the drives?

I had no idea man.

Gusar wrote:

I dunno either. I only installed pcmanfm to give it a try expecting that it did not complain too much.
Yeah, I'd have said that I'm using dwm and not lxde.
Maybe It's because of running my wm using ck-launch-session to launch dwm?

shemz wrote:

yes the one in [extra] depends on gvfs for automounting, which in turn depends on hal. i am using the git version with libfm-udisks and it mounts just about any storage device the kernel sees. no need to set udev rules manually.

pcmanfm-git worked out-of-the-box, I already had dbus and hal running as daemons.

#8 2010-08-07 12:49:45

Quarterly_Reports

I installed the 0.5.2.  It is not behaving quite right but I can work with it enough to move everything important back to an NTFS drive so I can work in Windows next time Arch shoots its own foot.

Board footer