You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-23 11:56:49

purrkur

Pacman question

Hi all,

I am an old Gentoo/Debian user trying my luck with Arch. So far I am having a good time smile

Just one question: I want to look for packages in the package database, for example some kde package. I guess I should use "-Q" for that but if I don't know the exact name of the package, or if I want to get a list of packages that begin with "kde"?  I have been reading the man page and the query options but this isn't really obvious to me. I thought it would be something like:

pacman -Qs kde, or
pacman -Q -s kde

but I just get the prompt back. What am I doing wrong here or what am I missing??

I am looking for something similar to "emerge -s kde" in Gentoo or "apt-cache pkgnames kde" or "apt-cache search kde" in Debian.

Punk is an attitude
Not a fashion style

#2 2005-02-23 12:14:19

lucke

Re: Pacman question

-Q is used only for local (installed) packages.
-S is used to make operations on remote servers, i.e. pacman -Ss kde will search the repos for packages containing kde string in their names/descriptions. And that's what you're looking for, probably.

#3 2005-02-23 12:37:06

purrkur

Re: Pacman question

lucke wrote:

-Q is used only for local (installed) packages.
-S is used to make operations on remote servers, i.e. pacman -Ss kde will search the repos for packages containing kde string in their names/descriptions. And that's what you're looking for, probably.

Yes it is! Thanks for the quick reply.

Punk is an attitude
Not a fashion style

Board footer