You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-23 15:23:47

schumph

Pacman Repositories

I am curious about obtaining packages that are not part of current and extra, specifically fluxbox-devel. Can a temporarily add a repository, in this case unstable, sync the repository, get the package, comment out unstable and resync so that I am no longer accessing unstable?

"If you break your leg, stop thinking about dancing and start decorating the cast." --Warren Zevon

#2 2005-02-23 15:30:52

arooaroo
Website

Re: Pacman Repositories

You said it! Just have a look in your /etc/pacman.conf and if it was like mine, the unstable repo is already listed, but commented. Uncomment and do as you said.

#3 2005-02-23 15:32:10

lucke

You can do it that way, but it's too much effort. Just get package's address, by browsing ftp.archlinux.org in that case and run 'pacman -A (or -U) package's_address'.

pacman -A ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/unstable/os/i686/fluxbox-devel-0.9.12-2.pkg.tar.gz

Or just wget it manually and run 'pacman -A package_name'.

#4 2005-02-23 15:34:39

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Why exactly do you want to disable unstable after installing fluxbox-devel?  Nothing in unstable will change anything in current or extra by default, just as nothing in extra will change anything in current.  Staging is also supposed to be like that, nothing in staging will change anything in current, extra, or unstable.  Also, when you disable unstable, you won't get any more updates for fluxbox-devel.  You might as well just do a pacman -U ftp://repo/path/to/fluxbox-devel-package.tar.gz

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2005-02-23 15:36:22

schumph

Thanks for the replys - I really appreciate the help. While not completely new to linux, though hardly expert, I am new to the nuances of Arch. Really enjoying it so far and loving the forum.

"If you break your leg, stop thinking about dancing and start decorating the cast." --Warren Zevon

#6 2005-02-23 15:39:29

schumph

Xentac,
I guess my concern is that I would potentially pick up something in unstable that would fry a stable version of something I have installed. But thinking about it now, pacman would first find something in stable, I presume, and would never look into unstable unless the package didn't exist in stable. Am I correct on that assumption.

#7 2005-02-23 15:47:06

lucke

There just aren't two packages in current/extra and unstable with the same name. Usually unstable stuff is followed by devel or cvs. So there is no risk of updating your current/extra stuff with something out of unstable. The problem comes only with testing repo :-)

#8 2005-02-23 15:51:49

schumph

Sorry about my confusion on that and thanks for straightening me out.... appreciate the help

Board footer